Noise canceling headphones under $200? And can use while mowing?

Discussion in 'Home Theater and Stereo' started by Zak, May 6, 2019.

1. Zak

Zak Active Member

looking to see what you experts would recommend for a good set of noise canceling headphones? I travel a lot, and looking at replacing my current earbuds. Earbuds tend to hurt my ears after 30 or so minutes. Prefer over the ear cans. And if possible I'd love a pair I could use on the airplane and also while mowing the yard. Nothing like rocking out to some Slayer/Gojira/Testament while mowing!!

Prefer Amazon as I have a $100 gift card. Love work spiffs.

2. pillatier

pillatier Well-Known Member

3. Denton

Denton Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

CJ recently discussed choosing Sony versus Bose noise cancelling phones. IIRC, he went with Sony. I'll do a search and see if I can find the thread.

Hear ya go....

Noise cancelling headphones

4. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Well-Known Member Top Poster

The Sony WH 1000 or Bose QC 35 are the two top contenders...but pricey. The Bose QC25's are closer to your budget and great but are wired. The Plantronics BackBeat PRO2's are well rated as are the Sennheiser HD 4.50. I'm considering the Plantronics myself to replace a pair of Bose QC15's that have served me well over the years. My Bose are several generations old but I wouldn't want to fly without them or something equally good.

Take a look at this site...it has a lot of great info on each of these and more.

The 9 Best Noise Cancelling Headphones - Spring 2019: Reviews

5. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member

My Bose were the best thing ever when I was traveling for work. Could not fly without them.

Andrew Pratt likes this.
  6. Zak

Zak Active Member

Thank you for the info guys.

Would love a pair of the Bose 35's but just don't have that type of funds for something like this right now. Reading up on the Plantronics and Sennheiser the article you posted @Andrew Pratt. Like the better noise canceling of the Sennheiser but comfort is important to me. Wonder how the Plantronics work while mowing....

7. Zak

Zak Active Member

Hmm. reading the reviews seems like both the Sennheiser and Plantronics are quite good in everything but high noise environments. The Ankler is not as good in some aspects but quite good at ANC. As is the Bose QC25's. It has a wire but that is not a deal braker for me.

8. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

The highest end Sony and Bose will be out of your budget by quite a bit. Sony makes some lower end models that are still wireless, they're just not as good as their flagship models overall. I'd start there. I know the WH1000MX3 or whatever the newest ones are sport a bunch of unnecessary tech for your situation (like custom NC profiles that measure the environment and optimize, EQ, bunch of stuff) so the actual base NC for the 700s may be close and just missing all the fancy fluff.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079GPFLT1/?tag=homthelou-20

Zak likes this.
  9. Zak

Zak Active Member

Thanks CJ! Just read a bunch of reviews on the 700 and Amazon has it renewed for $89. Turns out my gift card was only $50 so these worked out well. They should be here tomorrow and I'm flying to WI Thursday so they will be tested on the flight.

10. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

I suspect they will work a lot better on a plane than while mowing.

Zak likes this.
  11. Zak

Zak Active Member

Yeah, most likely. Half the time I forget to put the yard headphones on and mow with nothing. I typically use the headphones and put in earbuds to listen to music while mowing. But my kids keep taking the adapters for my earbuds and then cannot find any of the POS apple earbuds. :) I'll see how they work this weekend as the grass is growing at an insane rate, and our zero turn is more of a higher pitch than our old normal john deer mower.

12. DustinDavis

Sorry—I wouldn’t have thrown out the Bose idea if I’d paid closer attention to your budget in the thread title. My bad.

13. Zak

Zak Active Member

Oh no worries Dustin. I've been drooling over getting a pair of QC35's. Need a few good quarters of commission checks to come in again before I can save up for something like that.

14. CJ

I disagree and I'm hoping Zak proves me right. I literally don't own a mower or I'd test it myself. But lawnmower noise and aircraft cabin noise share a few traits.

1. Both are constant. Cancelling irregular noise is difficult, cancelling constant "white noise" is easy which is why air travel is THE use case for NC headphones.
    2. Both are bandwidth limited. I tried and struggled to find a reference but I believe neither noise exhibits ultra low or ultra high frequencies.
    3. Anecdotally, multiple reviews on Amazon for a variety of different NC headphones specifically cite being good for mowing.

Zak likes this.
  15. DustinDavis

Here is one idea to consider while mowing. When I do woodwork in the garage I thrown in wireless earbuds, and over those over-the-ear muffs meant for use when shooting guns. No active noise cancellation, just blocking.

16. CJ

That's kind of fucking brilliant.

My FIL just cranks regular headphones so... mower too loud, just blast something louder right into your ears for hours at a time. Eventually the mower won't be loud.

17. Zak

Zak Active Member

that's what I do now. I use earbuds under earmuffs. the earmuffs work ok and my good earbuds sound pretty good under them. But as I mentioned I keep getting my apple adapters stolen by the darn kids. :) And the earmuffs are pretty uncomfortable and my earbuds hurt a bit as well. for some reason I have very sensitive ears. Probably from all the years of wrestling getting the ears beat up non stop. Had them drained 5 or 6 times for cauliflower ear. both now hard some hardened cauliflower ear material still left in them.

18. DYohn

Yes I've done that when operating large power tools.

19. DYohn

The basis of my comment was SPL. Mowing is much louder than the inside of any airliner.

20. CJ

Fair