Once upon a time in hollywood

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Drew, May 21, 2019.

1. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member Top Poster

2. Denton

Denton Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Top of my personal list of summer movies.

3. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Bronze Member

Interestedly. Though I have to say Tarantino is hit-and-miss for me.

4. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Bronze Member

"Interestedly". Is that an adverb? Eh, I'll stand by it.

DYohn and Barry_NJ like this.
  5. Mike B

Mike B Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Looks good to me.

6. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member Top Poster

Mike, what looks good, the movie or Dustin’s made up word? :)

DYohn likes this.
  7. Dennis Pagoulatos

Dennis Pagoulatos Well-Known Member

Excited for this.....

8. Mike B

Mike B Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

I like Tarantino, he's one crazy sob. Saw Sharon Tate mentioned and thought Manson?

Tarantino doing Manson should be good!

9. Barry_NJ

Barry_NJ Well-Known Member

In the clip they mention, and even show, "Charlie"...

10. Dennis Pagoulatos

I think I saw a tv commercial for this...release date is end of July...

11. Max Yokell

Ok I saw thIs one and I will start off by saying I love his movies. I enjoyed the blurred reality of Inglorious Basterds and found this to be along the same vein as a mix of real people in a story of fictional. I will also add that very much like Brad Pitt and while I don’t hate Decaprio I usually am not a fan of his. Pitt was fantastic, and I felt this might just have been Decaprio’s best adult role. I thought he did amazing in Gilbert Grape and that other movie whose name escapes me right now.

The basic premise is late 60’s Hollywood during the time leading up to the Manson murders. It sets the period perfectly mixes in some great music and takes you on a ride that will tick off all the Tarintino style points. It ended up making me feel a bit nostalgic for my childhood and an era long gone.

I love the way that he always builds a world that feels so complete and alive. It felt good being transported to a different time and enjoyed his little twist on history.

Denton likes this.
  12. Carl V

Carl V Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Saw it at s new brew/ food theater.
    Projection was ok. Sound not great.

Film was entertaining. Acting was first rate.
    Storyline interesting. Set direction is great.

The ending was pure Tarantino.

Max Yokell likes this.
  13. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Yea I read a spoiler-filled description of that ending and it's why I won't be seeing this in the cinema. Not a fan of grindhouse gore.

14. Denton

I'm not a gore fiend either but laughed my a** off anyway. If you made it through "Pulp Fiction" this flick will not be an issue.

Max Yokell and DYohn like this.
  15. Stefan

Stefan Active Member

Saw it Sunday eve. Went to a theater with the nice cushy recliners but had to sit in the front row. Sold out showing. Got my money back and went to a different theater 20 minutes away with typical seats. Maybe 20 people in the theater. But we were the first ones there and had our pick. Anyway...

I liked it but it’s probably at the bottom of my Tarantino list. I’d watch it again but don’t have to. We’ll see. Loved the ending and a few choice scenes. I may be a bit too young to appreciate the 60’s Hollywood nostalgia. I thought the acting was great and I like the old style look and sound. A few tense moments, but not what I’m used to. Wife though meh.

Stefan

16. GSmitty

GSmitty Active Member

This is on our radar. I too find that we enjoy some of his movies, and others not so much... Glad to hear that the acting was mentioned as being good - as that confirms what the one person we talked to about this movie who saw it, had said too... Music - well, we always enjoy good music - which can set the tone and 'make or break' a movie. (I had a conversation about this very subject about four months ago, with my daughter. Asked her if she would have enjoyed the 'Big Chill' as much as she did, if it did not have such a great and sequence of music? Sure, good, to OK acting - but the music made the movie... Such was the same with the splash of a movie 'The Commitment's' (But I admit, we had to watch it a few times, and even back up a few times to understand their English:)! (And we fine the 'dialog' of many British produced movies and shows, to be hard to hear. Always wondered if it was a different format converted over to send to us Yanks - that messed up the sound:)!)

Anyways, thanks for sharing your guys view of the latest T movie!
    Best to all,
    Smitty

17. Dennis Pagoulatos

Watched it over the weekend with a guy friend...
    I don't like rankings but I can say that I really enjoyed this film- more than any recent Tarantino film probably since Kill Bill Vol. 2.
    Pitt was the epitome of cool
    despite possibly being a murderer...or was that in his head?!
    and Leo delivered his most affecting performance in many years. Margot Robbie was luminous and perfect in a deliberately underwritten yet extremely nuanced "anchoring" role. The numerous supporting roles and little cameos were also really memorable with special shout-outs to: Mike Moh, Dakota Fanning, and especially Julia Butters.
    This is a "drink it in" type of film which can appear boring/ meandering/ pointless to some critics but the whole thing just worked for me. Tarantino films usually keep the viewer off balance; uneasy and unsure of where things will go next, but there were just enough clues peppered throughout the nearly 3 hour runtime that things would probably not play out as one might expect to keep the viewer engaged.
    With Tarantino you also expect violence but
    the final scenes took place at night in rather dimly lit conditions, so while brutal and shocking, I wouldn't call it particularly gory. And if you know even a bit about who these people were, it's cathartic in a rather effective manner...just desserts indeed!
    Lastly, the visual effects in recreating the look and feel of 1969 Los Angeles were incredible and completely seamless. I'm not sure how they accomplished it but the end result is amazing.

Max Yokell and Denton like this.
  18. Denton

Very true. Vintage automobiles are present by the dozens and really added to that look. I found myself reaching for my draft card. j/k

Max Yokell and Dennis Pagoulatos like this.
  19. Max Yokell

David,
    Let’s just say it was artistic gore. ;)

Dennis Pagoulatos and DYohn like this.
  20. Max Yokell

Yeah the cars in this movie had me wondering how do they do that? Are a bunch CGI and the streets and buildings it was incredible how well they turned back time.