Power Conditioner/Surge Protection for HT Gear?

Discussion in 'Home Theater and Stereo' started by JoeM, May 16, 2019 at 10:30 AM.

1. JoeM

JoeM Active Member

I've had a Monster power conditioner for the last 9 years that just bit the dust yesterday. The system was disconnected during a repipe and floor replacement project and the unit popped when I reconnected it.
    Temporarily I just took a spare surge protector to get back up and running. Amp is plugged directly into the wall now, other gear into the surge protector, DVR into a small UPS.

How many of you use power conditioning and surge protection gear for your stuff and what has your experience been? I'm revisiting the decision on what to replace this with.

This is what just died.
    upload_2019-5-16_8-30-17.png

2. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor

I have two of these: Panamax MAX® 5500 ACRegenerator™

I think they make them now with digital meters. I had one of them give it's life for my gear when a surge from a several days power failure smoked it. Had bought it at the now gone Magnolia store, took it back so they could send it to Panamax for repair. Lifetime warranty stuff. In any event, they didn't repair it, they sent a complete brand new unit, in the box with all new accessories. With Magnolia now gone, I'm probably screwed if it happens again.

3. JoeM

JoeM Active Member

Randy, I have not looked at Panamax until just now. Was not aware of their lifetime warranty which could have been appealing, but just checked and noticed that all current products list a 3 year warranty now. Still not bad.
    I have seen some reviews talking about a low volume hum. Have you noticed any of that?

4. JoeM

JoeM Active Member

Just discovered that APC seems to have a lifetime warranty on their conditioner/filter units.

5. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor

No low volume hum with mine. As for warranty, was trusting my memory on that as the incident happened about five years after purchase. Would have to dig thru files to confirm. But If current is 3 years is a moot point anyway.

6. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member

I have two Monsters. Honestly I don’t know the A/V impact. But it looks nice, seems sturdy, I assume does what it says it does, and mine have lasted > 10 years.

7. claud

claud Well-Known Member Donor

You might go on Amazon and look at Furman surge suppressors and their power conditioners all prices

8. JoeM

JoeM Active Member

Hi Claud, Saw them too. Comparing at this point to find the sweet spot for me.