Power Conditioner/Surge Protection for HT Gear?

Discussion in 'Home Theater and Stereo' started by JoeM, May 16, 2019.

1. JoeM

JoeM Active Member

I've had a Monster power conditioner for the last 9 years that just bit the dust yesterday. The system was disconnected during a repipe and floor replacement project and the unit popped when I reconnected it.
    Temporarily I just took a spare surge protector to get back up and running. Amp is plugged directly into the wall now, other gear into the surge protector, DVR into a small UPS.

How many of you use power conditioning and surge protection gear for your stuff and what has your experience been? I'm revisiting the decision on what to replace this with.

This is what just died.
    upload_2019-5-16_8-30-17.png

2. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor

I have two of these: Panamax MAX® 5500 ACRegenerator™

I think they make them now with digital meters. I had one of them give it's life for my gear when a surge from a several days power failure smoked it. Had bought it at the now gone Magnolia store, took it back so they could send it to Panamax for repair. Lifetime warranty stuff. In any event, they didn't repair it, they sent a complete brand new unit, in the box with all new accessories. With Magnolia now gone, I'm probably screwed if it happens again.

3. JoeM

JoeM Active Member

Randy, I have not looked at Panamax until just now. Was not aware of their lifetime warranty which could have been appealing, but just checked and noticed that all current products list a 3 year warranty now. Still not bad.
    I have seen some reviews talking about a low volume hum. Have you noticed any of that?

4. JoeM

JoeM Active Member

Just discovered that APC seems to have a lifetime warranty on their conditioner/filter units.

5. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor

No low volume hum with mine. As for warranty, was trusting my memory on that as the incident happened about five years after purchase. Would have to dig thru files to confirm. But If current is 3 years is a moot point anyway.

6. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member

I have two Monsters. Honestly I don’t know the A/V impact. But it looks nice, seems sturdy, I assume does what it says it does, and mine have lasted > 10 years.

7. claud

claud Well-Known Member Donor

You might go on Amazon and look at Furman surge suppressors and their power conditioners all prices

8. JoeM

JoeM Active Member

Hi Claud, Saw them too. Comparing at this point to find the sweet spot for me.

9. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll HTT Refugee Donor

Joe, if you still have the OBM and receipt, check them over carefully. Monster use to have an almost unlimited life-time warranty on all of their power conditioners AND it carried over to the repaired (or replacement) unit. I've got an HTS-2600mkII on my living room system that is the 'grandchild' of the unit I originally purchased. The first time the original failed they repaired it. The second time they replaced it with a re-furb and the 3rd time I got the 2600, because my original model had been out of production for something like 10 years.

I know they replaced the lifetime warranty with a limited version, but I don't know when.

10. John Celardo

John Celardo Well-Known Member Donor

I have 2 CyberPower UPS that aren't power conditioners. I use one for our office computer, and the other for the HT to protect from power surges and cut-outs. so far so good. They have only 3 year warranties.

11. JoeM

JoeM Active Member

Dan, thanks for pointing that out. I have the receipt since I purchased it on Amazon.... back in 2010. I just looked up the warranty period and it looks like 5 years. Oh well.

I got my APC unit this week and that one has a lifetime warranty since it is one without a UPS. The UPS models have a shorter warranty and I have a separate UPS that I use just for the DVR and a network gig switch in the rack. I spent fraction of what I did on the Monster unit and have the lifetime warranty. Hopefully I never need to rely on that.

12. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll HTT Refugee Donor

13. Zak

Zak Well-Known Member

I have the exact same Panamax. Won it many years ago on Ebay for pennies. Has been in my systems for 12+ years and never let me down. Looks cool too.

14. Barry_NJ

Barry_NJ Well-Known Member

Late to the party, but I've got 2 of these Belkin units that I've been very happy with...

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  15. Ken McDaniel

Ken McDaniel Well-Known Member

This market segment has changed a lot over the last decade. Used to be a lot of component power conditioner/surge suppressors from many manufacturers but now we’re down to just a few. When my Monster blew out about a year ago I could find many affordable solutions other than APC and above that, Panamax.