Receiver reset

Discussion in 'Home Theater and Stereo' started by chad, Oct 15, 2013.

1. chad

chad Well-Known Member Top Poster

So last year after moving to Florida and spending a few months in storage my receiver developed a... Quirk. I posted about it but it just kind of worked its self out and stopped one day.

The past few weeks it developed a new quirk. After being off all night it was becoming non responsive when I'd select an HDMI input. Well, it would change to the input but no signal. I only have 2 sources (PS3 and AppleTv) so I'd toggle between the two inputs 2 or 3 times and the image would finally appear. Then it became anytime the receiver was turned off, not just after 6-8 hours.

This morning it just didn't want to lock on until after a few toggles.

I had to take my mother-in-law to the airport so I had some time to research while waiting and found that it had been somewhat of a common issue and most say a receiver reset cured the issue.

So I came home, wrote down all l my settings (and by wrote I mean entered into my phones note pad) and then on with the reset.

Once I turned it back on it immediately locked onto the input (yay) and I plugged in all of my settings.

I turned on some music and it would appear new life has been breathed into the system. I had just gotten used to the tone it gave me but resetting it seems to have done some happy voodoo to it.

So, I'm happy with the 8 minutes of work I invested into the task.

FYI - nothing changed. I didn't have to disconnect anything, remove anything, move anything etc. Just pressed a few buttons together and it did the rest.

2. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Active Member Top Poster

Glad voodoo worked!

3. chad

Not as glad as me! I can't imagine going back to my old one that currently collects dust in the bedroom as a main unit and I can't spend money until after the holidays.

4. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

Good for you! Yeah, it's bits got scrambled by the FL humidity no doubt.

Ya gotta love it when a reboot works - :)

5. chad

Good news! Got up this morning, decided to watch some 30 Rock (which I can't decide if I like or not) and the Onkyo locked onto the signal from AppleTv right away. No hiccups no quirks, it just worked.

6. Tom R S 4

Tom R S 4 Active Member

I'm glad this appears to have solved the issue, Chad!

7. Carl V

Carl V Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

30 rock....yeah sure, you were watching BARNEY reruns...admit it!