Redwood National Park, need advise

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Zak, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Zak

Zak Well-Known Member

Seeing the redwoods has been on my families bucketlist for quite some time. This year, for our summer trip we are thinking about heading out to see them in July. But they are in the middle of now where! Originally we thought about flying into Portland and driving down to see them, hitting some coastal cities along the way and hitting Crater Lake on the way back up. Issue is that we have to get out there using Southwest points. I have a plethora of points but it's insane how many points it takes to get 5 of us from the east coast to Portland.

I'm considering flying into San Jose, and heading north to the redwoods as it's about half the points to get there. Thoughts in that part of CA? Worth seeing or would there be something else out west you all would recommend? We've never been to anywhere out west. Don't care much about LA/San Diego. I've been there for a day or two for work many years ago and don't feel the need to go back. Vegas is not that interesting to us.
    Slot canyons, high desert, grand canyon etc seem pretty cool. Only have though up to 10 days.

2. Phil Rose

Phil Rose Active Member

Not sure if it’s close but if you might want to look at Lassen NP. It’s volcanic and pretty neat.

3. Blake

Blake Member

San Jose up is pretty awesome. Drive up 1, come back 5. You could detour to Tahoe on the way home if you wanted to.

Source: live just north of San Jose, did this road trip last summer with my kids. PM me if you want more in depth.

Carl V likes this.
  4. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member Top Poster

Muir Woods is nice, tickets i think are $15 for adults, kinds 15 and under are free. Further north along the coast there is Mendocino, been there a few times. You could do the Skunk train there. other stuff > Mendocino Forests ~ The Tallest living thing on Earth

We just went to Calaveras Big Trees. Mostly Sugar and Ponderosa Pines, but the park has a number of Sequoia trees. Probably not beneficial to go there geographically though.

Carl V likes this.
  5. Dennis Pagoulatos

Dennis Pagoulatos Well-Known Member

A visit to see the Mariposa Grove (giant Sequioas, 2-3000 year old trees) in Yosemite is totally do-able if you're in the area. I also recommend Muir Woods since you'll be in the area...

DYohn and Carl V like this.
  6. Jay Brown

Jay Brown Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

Muir Woods had the "Star Wars" geek in me on full blast. LOL It is a site to see.

DYohn and Zak like this.
  7. Carl V

Carl V Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

SW points into Sacramento?
    San Jose is fine
    45 minutes is BIG BASIN
    Redwoods. Not bad park.
    Agree with the previous posts.
    N-cal has lotsa forest options.
    Up hiway 1 or down 1.
    Alternate with 5 or 101
    Going to Tahoe or sequoia etc.,
    Is great but outta your way.

KISS principle.

Check into vrbo houses at sea ranch on the Mendocino coast. Nice restful diversion along the way.

Dennis Pagoulatos likes this.
  8. Jay Brown

Jay Brown Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

Speaking of Highway 1. I highly suggest starting in Daly City, then all the way down to Santa Cruz or even further down to Monteray and Carmel. If you start in Daly City..............

"Don't look for it Taylor, you may not like what you find." Dr. Zaius_ Planet of The Apes

DYohn likes this.
  9. Drew

If you do go that way, go to Monterey Bay Aquarium

DYohn likes this.
  10. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

And I suggest taking a detour off Hwy 1 and head east on HWY 92 from Half Moon Bay to the top of the mountain. Then go south on Skyline Road. This will take you through several redwood parks (You can see Methuselah, the 2000 year old sequoia that the loggers left behind) and you can spend hours hiking in the trees if you choose (but beware the Redwoods will make you sleepy. Seriously.) Continue south on Skyline all the way to Sky Londa and stop at the famous Alice's Restaurant (for a burger. The Harley riders are friendly.) Then either drop down east on 84 through Woodside to Interstate 280 if you need to get someplace, or turn west on La Honda Road (Hwy 84) for a trip through biker's favorite mountain roads all the way down to San Gregorio Beach back on Hwy 1. A great detour that will eat up a day if you stop to enjoy.

11. Blake

Blake Member

Shit, Dave. That's my mountain biking and road biking hood right there. I agree 1000% with all of that.

DYohn and Carl V like this.
  12. Carl V

Yes, the coastal redwoods are enjoyable. And the San Mateo coast line is often underrated.
    I too did lotsa miles on my road bike along skyline BLVD ( rte.35) Big basin & Butano have nice Redwood Groves

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
  13. DYohn

It's my favorite part of the peninsula and I spent days in those hills.
    What's the name of that bar in La Honda? Apple Jacks? Yea, don't take the family there unless you want to give them an "experience." :)

14. Carl V

Dave, didn’t you have a photo with you and your dog ( Luna) at San Gregorio.

At the other end of skyline was another biker bar called liberte’ Just over 17, and 1/2 mile down old Santa Cruz highway.

Despite the silly con valley sobriquet, the crowds and taxes. That was one helluva peninsula back in the day.

15. DYohn

Indeed! She was just a pup and did NOT like the water.

David%20Luna%20in%20surf%206%2009.jpg

Carl V likes this.
  16. Carl V

Any thoughts on another dog in your future?

17. Zak

Zak Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone! Looking at dates, we might do 10 days there. 4 or 5 north of San Fran and 4 or 5 south of San Fran. North we might head up to Redwood National park. Question though, staying south of San Fran, what towns would you recommend? Santa Cruz? Monterey? We will be hitting the aquarium, and hoping to do a fishing charter out of one of those two towns/cities but would love to rent a house or stay at a hotel/resort that is on the quieter side.

18. Blake

Blake Member

Santa Cruz has the boardwalk which will be pretty fun for kids, and a more accessible beach than Monterey. Santa Cruz also has a pretty large homeless problem and they are more aggressive than in other cities. Monterey has the aquarium and cannery row (which is kind of one big huge tourist trap). Carmel / Pebble Beach is fancy and you can pay the money to drive 17 Mile Drive and see how the other other other other half live.

If you mountain bike, Ibis and Santa Cruz Bikes are in SC and will rent you a bike and send you to Wilder Park, but you can instead go to Demo Forest and ride the Flow Trail, which is amazing loamy awesomeness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. DYohn

You could stay in Moss Landing which is about half-way between Santa Cruz and Monterrey, fairly easy driving access to both... lots of traffic on those highways sometimes though. I prefer Monterrey to Santa Cruz, but that's probably because I spent a LOT of time in Santa Cruz and not as much down in Monterrey, so it was more "exotic".to me. :)

20. Drew

Pick one.