Replacement Ear Cushions

Discussion in 'Home Theater and Stereo' started by Denton, Mar 26, 2020.

1. Denton

Denton Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Sociable distancing :wink: has encouraged me to catch up on a couple of unfinished projects. I finally replaced the destroyed ear cushions on my Sennheiser HD540 Reference phones with some cheapies from China courtesy of fleaBay. Once I figured things out it was simple. The original cushions were fabric covered foam while the new ones are memory foam covered with "PU Leather". Bass is slightly enhanced but still sounds good. These are among my favorite phones. Stayed up late listening to some tracks including some live Porcupine Tree.

DYohn likes this.
  2. John Celardo

John Celardo Bronze Member Donor

I have a pair of Beats Solo that I only use on plain rides. On the flight home last October I found foam crumbs on my shirt. Like you, I got cheap replacement pads on Amazon, got them on OK, and gave them a try. The left side was dead. Evidently this is common with these high priced, cheaply made Beats. I'm not a headphone guy so I'll probably a cheap pair of noise cancelers before my next trip. I'm bummed.

3. Denton

Denton Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

I feel for you, John. Many have been victimized by Beats audio, er, signature. And to have a channel crap out really sucks. I suggest you consider a set of Bose noise canceling phones. Life is too short to deal with less. Yes, you can tell the wife it's my fault.

John Celardo likes this.
  4. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Well-Known Member Top Poster

Agreed...buy a good set and you'll be so much happier when traveling. Bose QC15, 25, 35 all work well and you can get good deals on the 25's these days.