RIP Lyle Mays

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounj' started by Phil A, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Phil A

Phil A Well-Known Member Top Poster

2. Denton

Denton Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

I saw Pat Metheny and Lyle Mays a couple of times. They were transcendent. RIP.

3. Jay Brown

Jay Brown Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

Wow, another unexpected passing. Loved him on the keys.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

4. Carl V

Carl V Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

5. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member Top Poster

Iin high school we had a school sponsored rock band. The teacher had MS and was wheel chair bound and relied on students for lots of help. Once I had to take home to University of Miami’s highly acclaimed school of music. This was like 1981 or 1982 and I was left sitting in a rehearsal room while someone else wheeled my teacher off for a bit. There were some guys using the room but the one that caught my eye was playing a really nice acoustic guitar. The man was amazing and the finger stretch across the fretboard was insane. He was doing some scales and just jamming. In general. I kept my mouth shut as I did not want to bother anyone.

So I am driving Mr Burris back to our school and I was telling him that the guy in there was the most amazing guitar player unlike anything I had ever seen that close up before. He laughs at me and says you don’t know who that was? I’m like no idea is he famous? The teachers tells me it was Pat Metheny. I of course knew the name but really had never paid much attention to his music before as I was generally a rocker.

So basically I sat in this room with this guy who I was cluless about and was completely transfixed watching him play for like a half hour.

I could not tell you anything about the other guys with him, but there was a drummer and a piano player but they mostly seemed to not be doing much while he was messing around.

Denton likes this.