San Diego - 2019

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Jason Lorette, Jul 26, 2019.

1. Jason Lorette

Jason Lorette Well-Known Member

Hey gang...heading to San Diego on a family trip in November 2019. Many of the reviews and YouTube videos I'm watching is getting me more excited. Second time in California, first time as an adult.

We are actually staying in Escondido, CA which is about 40 min outside the city center.

Any advice on the best adventures, food, beer (I know there are a ton of craft breweries there), wineries, beaches, etc?

Cheers ~ J

2. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

San Diego is a fun town, you can't go wrong. Be sure to visit Mission Bay if you can.

Jason Lorette likes this.
  3. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Well-Known Member Top Poster

SD is easily my favourite place in the USA. There's dozens of great craft breweries and Pliney is fairly easy to find (albeit disappointing). La jolla is a must and coronado is fun. I've rented a convertible and driven up to wine country before. Its about half way to LA and a great day trip.

Jason Lorette likes this.
  4. Jason Lorette

Jason Lorette Well-Known Member

I'm very much looking forward to the breweries for sure and some of the wine as well. I've seen there is also quite a "craft burger" scene there too. Balboa Park looks stunning. Girlfriend definitely wants to go to Little Italy, and the beaches are on the list as well.

5. jasn

jasn Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

The San Diego Zoo is a great place, and is right next to Old Town.

Jack Keck and Jason Lorette like this.
  6. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

I was stationed out on Coronado Island for a short time and once had to go to the San Diego zoo to bring in three of my team who had gotten drunk and broken into the zoo late at night and were found by the Zoo staff in the morning sleeping it off inside a food vender stall where they had eaten a bunch of semi-frozen hot dogs. We paid for the damages to avoid losing them to the local Police Department. Ah San Diego memories.

Denton, jasn and Jason Lorette like this.
  7. pillatier

pillatier Well-Known Member

That's funny - at least they did not wake up and found themselves with elephants or some such animal!

DYohn likes this.
  8. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Well-Known Member Top Poster

You should plan on spending at least a full day if not more there as that's where the zoo and all the museums are located.

jasn, DYohn and Jason Lorette like this.
  9. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Active Member

My wife and I used to visit San Diego when my mother-in-law lived there. I found the people to be rude. My mother-in-law lived about two blocks south of LaJolla. When I'd ask if the "o" was long or short, EVERYONE told me that the word was pronouncd "LaHoya". Is that any way to treat a visitor from out of town? It was even more worser when I asked how they drove on those hills during an ice storm. They told me that the temperature never got below the mid-forties, so there were no ice storms. I was concerned about this because I have always lived in the greater Detroit where the roads are flat and there aren't any mountains. Someone finally admitted that after two hundred days or so of no rain, rain would cause oil in the road to come to the surface and cause the roads to be slick.

Seriously, check out the zoo AND the Wild Animal Kingdom.

Jason Lorette and jasn like this.