Seeking wisdom of this crowd

Discussion in 'Home Theater and Stereo' started by pillatier, Aug 14, 2019.

1. pillatier

pillatier Well-Known Member

If you had a choice what would you buy 65 inch 4K OLED or 65 inch 8K QLED for $300 more?

LG OLED65C9PUA Class HDR 4K UHD Smart OLED TV (2019 Model) or
    QN65Q900RBFXZA Flat 65" QLED 8K Q900 Series Smart TV (2019)

2. Rick C

Rick C Active Member

3. carlthess50

carlthess50 New Member

Well you can’t see 8k so why spend the money for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jack Keck likes this.
  4. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member

Somehow I doubt you can differentiate 8K from 4K on 65”. Just 300 bones though.

5. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Active Member

OLED has some major QC issues. The uber geeks over on AVS call it "The panel lottery".

6. claud

claud Well-Known Member Donor

I have been very happy with my LG 65"OLED and my 55" one at my beach home. Both have great pictures and no issues yet.

7. Chris Slade

Chris Slade Well-Known Member Top Poster

ummm 1080p plasma guys has no advice...… backs out slowly

Denton and Rick C like this.
  8. Dustin B

Dustin B Well-Known Member

My non justifiable opinion is right now there is more than a $300 difference to go from 4k to 8k so the 8k will have had to cut corners the 4k didn't on stuff that will matter. And the diff between 4k and 8k is something you have no chance of seeing on a 65" set plus is there even any 8k content out there?

9. pillatier

I should have mentioned the TV will be in a relatively bright room, with some potential for reflections on the screen.

10. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

11. Carl V

Carl V Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

CRT .... Trinitron

12. Denton

Denton Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Buy both and send one to me. Either one. :wink:

Jack Keck likes this.
  13. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

Not sure where everyone is at on the understanding of these technologies so apologies if I insult anyone's intelligence. Also while I think I'm pretty informed I'm not an expert.

These technologies are pretty different. QLED is an LED LCD essentially. The TV uses a backlight just like an LCD TV. In an OLED TV, the pixels emit their own light. In theory and in practice, OLED will best QLED picture quality in several areas. HOWEVER, as Pete says, OLED can be a real crapshoot. If you're not picky OR willing to go through a massive hassle and be a bit of a dick to a retailer, you can buy and return multiple OLEDs but it might take that to get one that doesn't have moderate to significant quality issues. The issues are brightness uniformity, usually left to right, and or banding. Below is what a bad one looks like with a 5% gray test pattern, which may or may not be detectable with real world content (that's a whole debate in itself... is it OK if a display miserably fails a pretty basic uniformity test if its not super obvious in MOST real world content).

uSCaEXw.jpg

14. Mikael Soderholm

Mikael Soderholm Active Member Donor

^^what he said.
    I was recently new in the TV game, and went to my local friendly shop to see what had happened since my 1998 widescreen CRT, as I had been using a projector since 2004, and not kept up with TV technologies.
    They showed me LCD, QLED and then OLED, and I never looked at anything else after seeing OLED.
    Even in a lit store, the difference was significant.

15. pillatier

Read the article before I posted, he did not do a head to head comparison of the two, as of the writing he was waiting for his evaluation set.

True, but people do not need a Corvette for a daily driver but we still buy them. Kidding!

Will make a great vintage system if I can find one, along with my Technics TT, Nakamichi cassette player and the 30 watt Technics receiver. Unfortunately, I don't have my Speakerlab 7 speakers anymore. The receiver will not drive the Maggies.

Pete and CJ that's my concern too, I have been following the AVS thread for a while. If the panel is not up to par I will be pissed (as this will be a want buy not a need buy) and exchanging will be nearly impossible for it will be an on-line buy (Amazon marketplace) for $2160. Local stores like Best Buy will only sell for MSRP ($2696) or $2 less.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  16. Jay Brown

Jay Brown Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

Oled you will go.....

yoda.jpg

pillatier likes this.
  17. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

I love my OLED

18. jasn

jasn Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

19. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

OLED panels with quality issues are no more common than LED panels with quality issues. Whatever AVS is reporting is likely overblown in the greater scheme of things. FYI, OLED is better technology in that it actually relies on a newer display mechanism than LED, it uses less energy and the panels are lighter. QLED is traditional LED display technology with some tricky chemistry thrown at it to increase brightness. On a very layman level, OLED can completely turn off individual pixels, resulting in much blacker black, while QLED uses a custom masking technology that basically hides pixels behind a screen since it can't turn them off, but QLED pixels can be brighter than OLED. Also QLED is cheaper to manufacture since it uses older panel technology.

Most people in a side-by-side test with the same input will choose the OLED picture quality.

20. pillatier

Thank you crowd for your help. I am putting a hold on the TV for now. A financial expert friend told me hold on to the money considering the economic uncertainties. Likely better buying opportunity once the economy tanks. I trust his judgment.