Slow Down Load - Fast Up?

Discussion in 'Smartphones, Computers, Gaming and Networking' started by Dan Driscoll, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll HTT Refugee Donor

Download speeds on my desktop PC have been crap for the past few days. I have 100/100Mbps service from Frontier and I'm actually getting a little better than that on my laptop. I've checked my settings on the desktop and confirmed all my software and drivers are up to date. I also pulled the card, cleaned the contacts, made sure it was seated properly, etc. No joy.I have installed the recent Win 10 upgrade on both computers, but that was after things went wonky.

For the past week DL speeds on my desktop have ranged between 5mbps and 30mbps. Uploads have been 3-5 times that, strangely enough. It's not consistent, either. One run will be 15mbps and a second on the same server taken right away will be significantly different. Time of day or night doesn't seem to matter. Tests run @ 1am are just as wonky as runs taken at 2pm.
    Both computers are on the same network. and the connections are wi-fi for both. My wi-fi router has 2.4GHZ and 5GHZ channels, as do the comps. Switching doesn't help.

I'm guessing I need a new PCIE network card for my desktop, but figured I would post this in case anyone else has had a similar issue.

2. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Scan for malware

3. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member

Run tests wired and see if different.

4. pillatier

pillatier Well-Known Member

Pull the power cord and reboot the MODEM.

5. Dan Driscoll

Done, multiple times w/3 different programs.

6. Dan Driscoll

Not easy due to location, but I may dig up some cable and make the effort if I can't find anything else. Not sure what it would tell me, since the wired connection is built into the MB of the decktop. Wi-fi is via a PCie card. And I already know the router is putting out good signal, since the laptop is getting it.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  7. Dan Driscoll

Done, multiple times.

Also remember that my laptop is getting 100/100 thru put.

To put some more lipstick on the pig, the laptop is a much older, less capable machine and doesn't even have an external antenna. It can only receive the 2.4GHz signal.

8. Dustin B

Dustin B Well-Known Member

What location have you tried the laptop from? Same as the desktop? Have you tried forcing the desktop to 2.4ghz?

Look for free WiFi analysis software and check the signal values on both machines using it? Perhaps someone has setup a network near you that is interfering and that will let you see it and pick a better 2.4 or 5 ghz channel. Or show you a big difference in the signal strength being received.

9. jasn

jasn Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

This may not be the the case for you Dan, but many times my laptop would run very slow when it was DLing/processing a Windows upgrade.

10. DYohn

Shitcan it and buy a new machine. :smilingimp:

11. pillatier

pillatier Well-Known Member

I hated it, Windows does not even notify that it is downloading. I finally went ahead and changed the setting so Windows notifies me that there are updates waiting.

12. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Active Member

13. Dan Driscoll

Aaannnddddd now everything is working again. I'm getting 90+ down and 100+ up again. That has been fairly typical for my daytime usage.
    That's great, :thumbsup:but I still don't know what went wrong or why it's now OK again. :rage:

It's been like this since I logged on several hours ago. I've cycled thru all of my wi-fi connected devices and several reboots. Everything is on now and appears to be working fine so I'm hoping it was just a 1 time glitch. Maybe a temporary environmental factor? I'm only a couple of miles from an international airport and there is a lot of construction going on nearby. I just don't know.

I don't know if wired was having the same issues, either. I was going to test that today, but...

14. DYohn

It could have been an ISP issue.

15. Dan Driscoll

I probably need to be moving in that direction in a year or 2, no matter what. I built this one about 8 years ago and the only real upgrade has been swapping the original spinning C: drive for an SSD.

I'm not such a power user that I need a more powerful machine. I am just a very occasional gamer and nothing CPU or video intensive. But I can't afford to be down for more than a day or 2, either. The laptop is even older, 2005 or 6, IIRC.