So, what's on your podcast list? What app are you using?

Discussion in 'Vlogs and Podcasts' started by JeffC, Apr 13, 2018.

1. JeffC

JeffC Well-Known Member Donor

Though it might be fun to see who everyone is listening to. Here's a rundown of my subscriptions. A lot of comedy for me. I'm using Google Play. As a rural internet user, I can download them from work and spool them at home off network. Anyway, here's my list in no particular order:

The Moth
    Rubin Report
    Bertcast
    Stuff You Should Know
    The Tim Ferriss Show
    ID10T w/Chris Hardwick
    The Church of What's Happening Now
    Duncan Trussel Family Hour
    Louder with Crowder
    Joe Rogan Experience
    The Way I heard it
    Bodega Boys
    Ari Shaffir's Skeptic Tank
    Waking up with Sam Harris
    This Past Weekend with Theo Von
    Dan Carlin's Hardcore History

I also listen to a lot of Gas Digital on their network or through their app. Shows like Legion of Skanks, Part of the Problem and the Real Ass Podcast.

My favorites that I never miss are the Gas Digital Stuff plus Joe Rogan, Ari Shaffir and Dan Carlin. Dan Carlin doesn't release that often, but his stuff is generally a two or three listen for me.

I really like Radio Lab and This American Life as well, but I catch those on NPR over the weekend.

What's in your queue?

2. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

First, I use the native Apple podcast app. It works fine and keeps things integrated between phone and Mac.

My current list is:
    Stuff You Should Know - General knowledge podcast. These guys are the OG podcasters. Have been around forever and just surpassed 1,000 episodes of this show.

Movie Crush - An interview format podcast. Host is Chuck Bryant from Stuff You Should Know and he brings in a guest every week to talk about their favorite movie, how movies impacted their lives, what was the first movie they saw in theaters etc. Guests are usually work-a-day insiders like comedians or writers but not "A-list" celebrities.

Show Me the Meaning - Movie podcast from the Wisecrack network. Deep filmographic and philosophical analyses without (IMO) being douchey.

The Squanch - Rick and Morty podcast from the Wisecrack network. Similar to Show Me the Meaning but just about Rick and Morty

Radiolab - A well produced kind of deep dive investigative journalism podcast. Multiple Peabody Award winning show.

More Perfect - A spin off of Radiolab so similar approach and production values but specific to the US Supreme Court.

Hawkeye Nation - Iowa Hawkeye sports podcast.

Bigger Ten - A Big 10 conference sports podcast co-hosted by the host of Hawkeye Nation, Jon Miller, and Michigan Podcast host Steve Deace.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  3. Chris Smith

Chris Smith Well-Known Member

I listen to a lot of podcasts. At some point you realize you can bump the speed up and over the past 4 or 5 years I've bumped the speed up to 2x without even a little bit of a problem listening to them.

I use Overcast on iOS which also speeds up the podcasts a little more because it'll remove blank pauses
    • AVexcel
    • Basic Brewing Radio
    • Bunny Ears
    • Daily Tech News Show
    • Dear Hank and John
    • Delete This
    • East Meets West
    • FiveThirtyEight Politics
    • The Greatest Discovery
    • The Greatest Generation
    • Hello Internet
    • Hollywood Babble On
    • IRL: Online Life is Real Life
    • Jay & Silent Bob Get Old
    • Judge John Hodgman
    • JuRY Podcast
    • Krukcast
    • Let's Talk about Cheers
    • Lovett or Leave It
    • Make Me Smart with Kai and Molly
    • Not Too Deep with Grace Helbig
    • Pod Save America
    • Pod Save the World
    • Politics X3
    • Security Now
    • Smodcast
    • Sordid Details
    • The Anthropocene Reviewed
    • This Week in Tech
    • We Have Concerns
    • WFT

4. CJ

Dang, that's a list. I do listen at 1.5x on the Apple app and it supports up to 2x. I generally only listen on my commute which isn't terribly long, so I fall behind even on the short list I have.

5. Chris Smith

Yeah I listen during work, too, so to get through 18-20 hours of podcasts a day isn’t unheard of for me

6. CJ

If I listen to a podcast I want to focus and hear/learn so I can't do them as background while I'm working. And if I'm focused on the podcast then I'm not really working. That's just me, I know some people can multi-task or are maybe half paying attention to what they're listening to while focusing on work.

7. JeffC

Thanks for posting your lists everyone. I didn't know you could speed them up. I'll have to look at that. And dang that's a lot of podcasts for a day Chris. My commute is about an hour a day and I can sometimes listen at work, but mostly while driving or working on stuff around the house.

8. murrayb

murrayb Well-Known Member

Never listened to a podcast. Maybe someday.

9. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor

You all know I'd ask this. What's a podcast?

10. CJ

A podcast is just a story in audio format only. Randy, without having to download anything or any commitment, click this link and then click the purple play button to listen. Give it 5 minutes (there will be other promos before the podcast starts so give a minute for it to get going).

Why Landmines Are The Deadliest Legacy Of War

11. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member Top Poster

hmm. I need to find a android app that supports 1.5 or 2.0 x speeds.

12. Chris Smith

Yeah mine are very much background noise. Once in a while I’ll hear something and go back and relisten, but most of the time it’s to keep the voices in my head quiet

DustinDavis likes this.
  13. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

None. I listen to none. No time.

14. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member

I can't listen to podcasts while I'm working. I either need to pay attention to the podcast, or to the work, but I can't do both. Oddly I find listening to the hardest heavy metal I can tolerate is when I am most focused and productive. It helps me concentrate, and keeps me motivated and moving. So I listen to podcasts during my commute. Possibly when I'm on my home computer, or when I'm doing work around the house. I use the stock Apple Podcasts app. My shows are as follows (somewhat in order of preference/frequency but not totally):

1. Joe Rogan Experience. Love Joe but he also have a lot of guests in whom I'm just not interested. Luckily he produces podcasts more frequently than I take a dump so it's never a long wait.
    2. Waking Up with Sam Harris. Sometimes I just don't have the stomach for the battle but overall I like Sam a lot.
    3. You Are Not So Smart. Offshoot of book by the same name, with author narrating. Logical fallacies, irrational behavior, and other psychology and sociology topics. All areas which I find fascinating.
    4. Freakonomics. Some overlap with aforementioned. Love Dubner.
    5. Revisionist History (Malcom Gladwell). I think there is only one season of this but it is excellent. Hope he starts it up again.
    6. Stuff They Don't Want You To Know, Stuff To Blow Your Mind, Stuff You Should Know.
    7. StarTalk Radio. This show has really gone downhill recently. They keep dipping into sports topics and other things not having to do with cosmology and physics. And when they do that, Chuck Nice hosts and I think he's got a big bag of nothing. Also, I've drilled into cosmology and physics enough that it's tough for the show to hit topics that I don't know about already. Has to do more than scratch the surface. That said, the LIGO And The Black Hole Blues podcast, Celebrating Einstein, any podcast with Sean Carroll as guest, The Multiverse, and some others I must be forgetting, are favorites ever.
    8. Ridiculous History. Also part of the HowStuffWorks family.
    9. The Interplanetary Podcast. Think of the Stuff guys, but just in space.
    10. Serial. Just wish they published more frequently.
    11. The Partially Examined Life. All philosophy and philosophers, all the time.

Others have come and gone. Penn Jillette's Sunday School--just too much pointless rambling. The Thinking Atheist--very invested in this topic, but it also gets me triggered so I avoid that by not listening. Spacepod--host edits the conversations too much and they don't go deep enough although the topics are good. Feherty--not as good as the TV presentation.

I'm gonna cherry-pick from y'all's lists and see what happens.

15. CJ

I need to get back on Freakonomics.

16. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member

Randy you gotta try 'em. Some are investigative journalism. Some are interviews with personalities. Every specialty/topic you can think of. Politics. Religion. Sports. Entertainment. Everything else. It's a really great medium, I love them. I was way late to the game as well, only started listening a couple years ago because I didn't get what they were. I think Serial was my first.

17. JeffC

Basically a radio show on the internet. Available on Itunes or Google Play almost always or one of several podcast networks. A lot are spun over to youtube as well.

18. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor

Thanks all. I know I've heard that word about a gazillion time but never bothered to ask. I always figured the "pod" part of it meant you had to have an iPod or some similar thing, which I do not. So basically it's talk radio you get to pick the subject. Honestly I can't say it holds much interest for me.

JeffC likes this.
  19. Carl V

Carl V Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Not much into podcasts. Audiobooks, yes while traveling or commuting. I’ve lustened in on podcasts when others are in the car or guest at home. Enjoyable but I just never made the leap. I couldn’t do it at work. Need to concentrate. And I my line of work there are way too many distractions.

20. JeffC

Every now and then the carcast is pretty good for guys with older cars. Online link below.

CarCast (podcast)