Sony 4k media player shown and due by fall

Discussion in 'Home Theater and Stereo' started by Max Yokell, Jul 3, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member Top Poster

2. John F

John F Active Member

3. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Active Member Top Poster

$5000 is the entry-level for 4K panels, just $500 more than I paid for my first 1080i HDTV back in year 2000. Like the panel at Best Buy, that was also 65-inches.

Of course, my 73-inch 1080p set cost $1300 back in 2011.

Maybe by the time that set dies, I'll be in the market for 4K and the prices will be a little more sensible.

4. Michael M

Michael M Active Member

I watched this a while back. It's long, but worth the watch. After watching this, I know I don't need 4K.

[video]http://twit.tv/show/home-theater-geeks/158[/video]

5. Michael M

Michael M Active Member

6. Shane

Shane Active Member

I've seen the media player in action. If you dig up my review, you'll see it mentioned along with a few movies.

Neat box but i'm not so sure a download only model will work right now. Dad's DSL ain't gonna work.

7. Max Yokell

Michael,
    I have been going through that Joe Kane interview bit by bit and trying to get what he was saying about the new "4K" systems and I had the opposite reaction of you, I can't wait till they get their shit together as 4X the resolution is hardly the only improvement they are making.

As for the size, he was pretty clear that to edit and work with video production you need to work on a min of a screen that is 10' wide, but he was pretty clear you did not need that to see improvements he was joking a little about how close you had to get to the 85" Samsung he has to see the resolution improvements and I think downright mocking the 55 and 65" models as not needing the resolution, but his discussion on color space and bit depth was showing some of the areas where these sets can really improve over our current HD standards.

I look forward to the day I can hang a 2160P projector in my room. :)

8. Michael M

Michael M Active Member

A PJ yes, but as you see most TVs won't benefit. Currently I have a 58", which wouldn't make a difference.

As a rant, I'm done with Samsung TVs. I'm on my second one that within 2 yrs is puking out.

9. chad

chad Well-Known Member Top Poster

My 50" Samsung is about 5 years old. Sams Club 720p model. It moved to the bedroom when we got a 60" Panny a while back but its still going strong.

10. Michael M

Michael M Active Member

Even my brother Mark had two go bad. We each had a DLP, now our plasmas are puking out. Each one of those didn't make it 2 years without issues. Both our DLPs got the white dot issue so many had. Mark's plasma gets horizontal lines as it warms up. Mine gets real bad ghosting with something as simple as the DTV guide, which stays red right down the middle of the screen for a few minutes.

Sucks given the amount of cash we paid. Next TV...Vizio. I have two of those and they are certainly going strong and have a good enough picture for me. The 50"-60" get pretty good ratings on CNET reviews. I know a lot of people have great luck with Samsung, but I'm going to pass on them when I buy my next main TV.

11. Shane

Shane Active Member

As a comparison, I've seen 4k on a the 65 vs a non 4k set, yes, you'll see the difference.

We have a 50" 4k set floating around for a demo in offices so I'm curious to make a comparison there when I get to see it.

12. Max Yokell

I have had nothing but good luck with Samsung, I have an 8 year old DLP 61" set that we moved from the house to the Daycare a year ago, it has had the lamp changed once after 6 years. 42" LED in the bedroom is 2 years trouble free, and a 60 has just passed the one year mark in the family room never a problem.

As for what Shane said sure you may need to get up close to see the added resolution, but like Joe Kane was pointing out in that one video there is much more going on then just resolution, the color space as been vastly improved as well as a couple other tweaks.

Max