Sony XBR 900E 65"

Discussion in 'Home Theater and Stereo' started by Michael M, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Michael M

Michael M Active Member

Let me just start out by saying MAN I LOVE THIS TV!!!! I picked it up last September. I had a Samsung plasma that crapped out on me.
    The Sony is 4k of course. I have the Sony X800 4k player to go with it. Like many of you, I'm such a tweaker I played and played with settings. I'd read about some settings, I'd give it a try. On the Sony XBR page on FB, someone sent me their calibrated settings. They were some really good tweaks. I'm a color matcher by trade (25 yrs) so I think I have a decent eye.
    One thing that surprised me was how incredible regular blu-rays looks. I was like DAMN!! 4K movies? Yep, they are incredible too. But IMO, some I've seen are no better than blu-ray.
    The one downside to such a great set is the same with a great audio system. It can be too revealing!! A bad picture can look really bad. LOL Right now I'm watching 'The Last of the Mohicans' I recorded on DTV. I was on BBC America. It's watchable because I love this movie.
    Netflix 4K is great. Not incredible in my opinion, but a great picture especially since it's a streaming service. Same goes for Hulu and Amazon. I don't watch close enough or care enough to compare each streaming service.
    Now toss in BR 4K versions of BR2049 or Passengers just to name a couple and I think the picture has to be better than any movie theater I've been in.
    Then I pulled up a YouTube video of Downtown LA aerial shot at night in 8K. Of course my TV is only showing 4K, but this video left me in awe of the best video I've ever seen on a TV in my life. Flying over head and seeing the detail of the city is nothing short of amazing. When I watched my first BR on this TV I thought it couldn't get a whole lot better. Then I watched BR2049 and noticed an even better picture, but then the YT video of LA left me speechless. I would love to see it on an 8K set. But what I realized was this video was showing off the capabilities of this set. So I'll leave you with this....
    MAN I LOVE THIS TV!!!

2. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

The equipment has gotten so good. I'm thrilled you love your display. I made a similar comment about just being damn impressed with the PQ of my lowly 1080p projector streaming an iTunes movie. I used to tweak settings neurotically and still have huge compromises. My first projector had terrible edge enhancement and was only a non-native 768p. What I have today blows it away straight out of the box and like you said, you can go on forums and pull settings from very talented professionals.

Michael M likes this.
  3. Michael M

Michael M Active Member

I hear the LG is top of the line. When I saw the price of them and knew what I wanted to spend, I thought it best not to look at one. Ignorance is bliss.

4. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

I mean, there's probably a point of diminishing returns, especially for a TV of a given size. I'd rather save for a true 4K projector when I'm actually throwing a 100" image. My 1080p TV is 70" and it seems plenty sharp enough. And it was $2600 new so I could go get a 75" LG for that today. If you're happy, I wouldn't worry about what is out there that you heard is better.

5. Michael M

Michael M Active Member

I fully agree with the diminishing returns. I can't imagine there would be any kind of wow factor between them. And after watching that video I mentioned, it's going to take an awful lot of technological improvement for me to experience that wow factor on the next display.

CJ likes this.
  6. claud

claud Well-Known Member Donor

I have an LG 65" OLED. Great calibrated picture, but the best improvement I have seen in Displays is bigger is always better. You just can not beat a bigger picture. I have always moved up in size when I purchased new TVs. Even 58" to 65" makes a big difference.

7. Jay Brown

Jay Brown Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

I have the 55 inch version of the 900e and it's an incredible display for the cost. I use my Nvidia Shield as the main interface because the Android TV interface on the Shield is much better than what's found on the TV itself. For HDR content coming from Youtube and Google Play Movies, I have a Chromecast Ultra connected to one of the display's HDMI ports.

There's a lot of incredible content to be found, whether it be on Youtube, Vimeo, Amazon, Netflix, and add a 4K Blu Ray Player into the equation is icing on the cake, especially a device like an Oppo 203.