Speaker Stand Recommendations

Discussion in 'Home Theater and Stereo' started by RJ, May 12, 2019.

1. RJ

RJ Member

I'm in the market for a some speaker stands, but I've never owned speaker stands and I have no idea what to buy.

These stands would be for a set of Totem Dreamcatcher's. The Dreamcatchers aren't a huge speaker so I don't need anything crazy. According to the Dreamcatcher specs, they are only 11.3"H by 5.1"W by 7.1"D at 5.5 lbs. What stands would you guys recommend? I'm not trying to spend several hundred dollars for a set of stands, but am looking for something pretty sturdy and preferably with something to hide the speaker wire in.

Anyone have any suggestions?

2. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Member

I don’t know if these are the right size for your particular speakers or not, but at $139.00/pair, they seem like a good value.

Home Theater Direct Speaker Stands

I don’t know if they have an special audiophile magic incorporated into their design, but I had an older pair of this company's speaker stands and they were relatively decent in terms of aesthetics and build quality.

3. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

Sanus makes decent but not expensive stands.

4. John Celardo

John Celardo Well-Known Member Donor

Wow! Haven't seen any reference to HTD here in a long time. I still have my 20+-year-old level 3s and some in-wall surrounds. Jeffrey, I think you recommended HTD in the Home Theater Talk days, which is why I bought them. I even have a pair in the garage.

Zak likes this.
  5. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Member

Well, that's pretty cool! A friend of mine is still using my old pair of HTD Level 3s from that era (four bookshelves and the center channel) as well. They’re good little speakers and obviously were built well enough to last many years.

I would love to hear some of their current models, but the only way to do that appears to be buying them from the website. They do offer a 30-day in-home trial that I could take advantage of. However, I hate doing that sort of thing if I don’t have any intention of keeping the product — like I’m hurting a small business by taking advantage of a good faith return policy.

6. Zak

Zak Active Member

Wow, HTD! That's a company I have not heard from in a while.

Are you remotely handy? I built a pair of nice stands years ago just buying precut wood from Lowes or Home Depot. Picked up some oak, one side was 1x3 and the other 1x2 and asked the to cut them to the right height for me. Then bought a piece for the top/bottom and again they cut it for me. (Before I had any tools at all). I glued them together and they held up amazingly well for many years. I even filled with lead shot to make them a bit more solid.

Once got a few tools, I built a few more. I'll be building some stands for my Totem Rainmakers as I bought a pair of Totem Kin in wall speakers that I'll be using for my fronts and the Rainmakers for the rears. The Dreamcatchers are awesome smaller speakers! Well anything Totem I'm a fan of.

7. CJ

Pretty sure @Drew is still rocking some Level IIs

8. Chris Slade

Chris Slade Well-Known Member Top Poster

Cool thread, I have been trying to decide how I want my stands to look (I will build) for my KEFS since I bought them. Also a huge Totem fan, under respected and rated speaker in my mind, I have a few pairs and loved all I have heard.

9. CJ

Totem falls into a weird tertiary layer of speakers that aren't completely off the radar but are hard to find. Triangle falls into a similar bucket. A local dealer used to carry them but haven't for years. I checked their website and I feel like there are maybe 5 US dealers. Shame because they sound good and are fucking gorgeous speakers.

10. Chris Slade

Yeah it is strange, they often seem to impress people when they get to listen to them. It takes the right kind of person though to want Totems. They are beautifully crafted speaker, but for some I think the physical size versus the cost can be a little hard to take. They are also the only speaker I have ever blown a tweeter in, so I would say that you need to be reasonable with them, and buy the correct model for the room. With the KEFs I felt that within reason they could handle any normally sized listening room. If there was a Totem competitor to the LS50Ws I would likely own that speaker.

11. RJ

RJ Member

I'm not handy at all unfortunately.

We have a Totem dealer here. I actually went into the store to buy some B&W's. After talking to the salesman for a bit, he wanted to show me some Totem's. I bought them after 5 minutes. Needless to say, I really like them.

Denton likes this.
  12. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

13. Denton

Denton Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

I have a pair of metal stands which I believe may have come from Saurav. They are from Parts Express and are decent quality, although my older model does not have wire hiding capability. Here's some models they have now including Sanus brand.

speaker stands - Parts Express Ships Fast and Ships Free.

14. Zak

Zak Active Member

I don't think I've ever heard the dreamcatchers. I fell in love with Totems years ago while shopping for TV's at a local hi fi dealer. Listened for a very, very long time to the Totem Arro's. They are still one of my favorite all time speakers. Hard to describe the sound but to my hears magical. Warm and highly detailed which is what I like. Good luck with your search for some stands and post pics when you get them setup.

15. Zak

Zak Active Member

Exactly. The speakers are pretty small and a bit understated. My favorite Totem, the Arro, is a TINY tower speaker with only 2 drivers but damn they can sing.

Now those KEFs you have, I am quite jealous. Local Best Buy had them and I listened to them while auditioning receivers. They have jumped up on my short list of speakers to own. Stunning style and what a sound. Good for you.

16. Chris Slade

Not surprised you liked them, we both like Totems and I really like the KEFS. Kind of like Totems with more bottom end. They don't look as good to me, but they sound damn good. I have had Totem Arro and Sttaf. I have always struggled with bigger speakers are better size is need to move air etc. I believe the physics, but damn Totems are small and they sound so sweet.

17. RJ

RJ Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I decided I wanted steel stands, so I went with Monoprice Monoliths. I got them yesterday and I have to say they are solid. I need to get some BluTack or something to keep my small speakers more secured to them though.
    I got the 28" size. Now I need to work on placement. That will be a weekend project.
    Monolith by Monoprice 24in Speaker Stands (Each) - Monoprice.com

Denton likes this.
  18. DYohn

19. RJ

RJ Member

Very interesting...I didn't even think about using something like this. Have you used it before? I assume by the name and it's description that it's not going to damage the wood or anything on the speaker. I guess it doesn't matter that much since its the bottom of the speaker.

I just bought it so we'll see. Thanks!

20. DYohn

Yes, I've used it on wood, pottery, and plastic. It works great and leaves no residue. highly recommended.