Spring Break, Spring Cleaning, and Car detailing

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounj' started by Jay Brown, Apr 11, 2019.

1. Jay Brown

Jay Brown Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

Full detail of the interior, engine bay, and exterior.

I had planned on doing some paint correction, but the weather has been unpredictable.

Next car will have leather seats. I had a nasty grease stain on the passenger seat that I was able to remove with ease, but to dry these cloth seats was a really long process.

I had planned on performing an engine detail the next day, but considering how long it took for the seats to dry, I just opened up the hood and dove head-first into the process.

I'm very proud of the work. Roughly 10-hours from start to finish, and it didn't help to have one of Bill Burr's podcasts playing while working on the car. Let's just say it will be very easy to scratch the paint while he's ranting. 19d4f628cd2edd02ef1f42b17875a8c9.jpg b15264d8821f20629519bb1c7b45a562.jpg c9ed6cfc09eb89649eaadcae7a648677.jpg 824c6f998a71f0fce44ff9ea63e1f11d.jpg 6cbac2339d56de869b43584dfa976268.jpg c2dd86edd2f31247e1b26f9025c32265.jpg 96bae04a042be95726e3fc2d36fccf67.jpg c6663a47eb4b448def7bc0fcaf7b6039.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Barry_NJ, Denton and Carl V like this.
  2. Carl V

Carl V Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

I’ll drop my car off Friday afternoon. No rush. I can pick it up Monday anytime.

Nice work. Nice looking ride.

Denton likes this.
  3. Jay Brown

Thank you very much Carl!!

4. pillatier

pillatier Well-Known Member

Looks nice! Do you have ceramic on the car?

5. Jay Brown

No ceramic coating, but I do use a sacrificial protectent such as Auto Fanatic's 007 Gloss Enhancer to help keep the car clean throughout the work week. The result is an hour-long maintenance wash on the weekends. I have thought about a Ceramic coating but I need a garage and protection from the weather, which I do not have. I thought about a possible detail at my brother's home in Alabama during the 4th of July week which would allow plenty of time for paint correction, polishing/waxing, and protecting the paint.

6. Barry_NJ

Barry_NJ Well-Known Member

Well done sir!

Jay Brown likes this.
  7. pillatier

I have used RejeX - it applies just like a wax, and is literally wipe on wipe off no buffing required. Bugs don't stick hard on it. It is a paint sealant like ceramic but not as hard. I did not trust myself to apply ceramic, and not leave lines as the liquid dries.

8. Jay Brown

The "Bugs" aspect of Rejex seems to pop up a lot. We get Love Bugs down here in Southeast Georgia twice a year, in the spring and late summer/early fall. During the washing process I usually spray an Orange Degreaser on the surface and let it sit for a few minutes before wiping it off along with bugs and debris.

A good claying, polish, then wax job is definitely need, for I can see that there's less "Sheeting" of water flowing on the car's paint. The car is stlll smooth to the touch, but I do feel some minute rough areas on the hood, trunk, and roof of the car. No need for a compound as part of the Paint correction process at this time. Luckily no swirl marks that are noticeable with light as I shine it on the surface, but I know there are some, especially around the front facia where I tend to rub a bit harder to remove debris this area of the car.

Out of curiousity, I sprayed Gyeon Iron remover on the wheels "after" a full cleaning of them to see if there were any iron deposits or fallout stuck on them, but only the break rotors turned purple. That was a positive sign.

I also sprayed the product on my Exhaust tips to help remove some of the carbon scarring that could not be removed with a typical cleaning. This produced a lot more of the "purple" chemical reaction, and helped get more than what I can usually remove through a usually cleaning. I also applied polish with an 0000 Steel Wool pad, then applied some wax with a Microfiber pad. Big improvement this time around.

Of course my phone lied to me and said there would be rain all day today, but it only drizzled in the morning, and there was a nice overcast with a breeze all day afterwards. Friday and Saturday would have been perfect for spending time on the paint, but that will come at another time.

9. JeffC

JeffC Well-Known Member Donor

Wow. That's a lot of work and it looks great.

Do you like that ecotec engine? I have a buddy that wants to put one in a little "rat rod" which made me chuckle when I started looking at engine prices.

10. Carl V

What is the price of that crate motor?

11. Jay Brown

No matter how this engine is described, it's still a 4-banger with a turbo.

With that in mind I treat it as such. The car doesn't have that "muscle car" persona and those who know what to look for on the car can easily distinguish between an LT or an SS/ZL1.

The 2.0 Turbo, which is also used in the Cadillac ATS, has alot of get up, especially some 3 to 5000 rpm. 275 HP and it really kicks in with cool weather.

I commute a total of 100 miles a day to and from work so I'm getting around 30 mpg. I no longer take the traditional route to and from work for fear of getting into another wreck, but I'm sure that route would produce around 35 mpg.

The 8 speed automatic is another topic, for I'm not a big fan of it because it's programmed to get to the highest gear no matter the driving condition. Fuel economy rules the day. I drive the car in manual mode with the 6th gear being the highest, especially when I'm driving around town. I don't user the paddle shifters, for the reaction time to shift gears is not great. I just use the stick, but no clutch which takes the fun out of it.

Another byproduct of using manual mode is hand-eye coordination. This actually helps with my balancing issues due to the stroke and it also keeps me aware of how to handle the gears when I'm in traffic.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
    JeffC likes this.
  12. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Speaking of the stroke, how are you doing Jay?

13. JeffC

JeffC Well-Known Member Donor

Last time i looked motor with ecu and harness new ran about 10k.

14. Jay Brown

Doing great, no major scares. Monitoring my Blood Pressure and medication is part of my normal daily routine.

Detailing the car is one of the main factors in improving my health. Last year when I first washed the car, about an hour after the wash, I measured my blood pressure and was in shock by how low the levels were prior to taking meds. This led to a reduction in some of my meds, and I began to do a more rigorous exercise regiment as well.

With this latest detail I lost about 5 pounds in water weight. This also means I need to get on the ball and start exercising more. Standardize testing has been a priority at work so maintaining the school systems network and PCs for the last few months has been a drain. Sometimes I just want to come home and veg on the couch, which is a big no no. So finding ways to keep myself busy is always a challenge.

At least there's an Airshow coming up in 2 weeks.

Rick C and DYohn like this.
  15. pillatier

RejeX has glazing compound in it, that may help with fine swirls. I know small plane owners apply RejeX on the leading edges of the wings, aileron, rudder and props for bugs splats. I have never tried Gyeon products, they are too expensive IMO. I saw a Utube of a Gyeon product that is sprayed on just before final spray was, they claim it sheets the water and shines the paint.

16. pillatier

17. Carl V

Boy racer indeed. I wonder if the Acura TLX with the sport A option is close?

18. Jay Brown

These SIO2 products such as Bead Maker and the 007 Gloss Enhancer that I use are great but they shadow the fact that you car's paint is going to need some type of service whether it be a compound, and or polish, and a wax.

I will admit that the will after I used 007 for the first time, it produced a 1-hour maintenance wash, with no direct hand contact. That's great until you start thinking about how many times can this be accomplished, and it is not something that could last more than 3 weeks, plus living here South Georgia has a major affect as well.

I'd imagine I could accomplish more of these types of washes with a proper polish and waxing of the vehicle.

19. pillatier

I am in the camp where the car should look clean and presentable but not necessarily show car spit shine, after all it is a daily driver. Black cars is my thing, keeping them spit shiny is nearly impossible. I used to wax the car perhaps twice or thrice a year, so I have always looked for waxes that lasts long. I am hoping the RejeX will hold up for once a year application.

BTW, I came across this video, on cleaning leather seats, it uses 30% solution of Woolite.

20. Jay Brown

Good ole Scott. I've watched many of his videos along with Pan The Organizer, Apex Detailing, Car Cleaning Guru, Obsessed Garage, and Auto Fanatic. I actually found Obsessed Garage about a year and a half earlier as a result of looking for some Screen calibration tips when I purchased an Oppo 203.

Car Cleaning Guru is the main reason for dealing my exhaust tips. I use Pan's washing and drying techniques, and I learned about the Pump sprayer method from Auto Fanatic.

I want to put the car on a 6-month full detail rotation, so I still have a good month before it gets really hot. Weather permitting, I want to perform a full paint decontamination/ correction, polish, and wax before June. Hopefully my job will fall back to 4- day work weeks like last year where I can spend some quality time on the car.