Subwoofer enclosure type

Discussion in 'Home Theater and Stereo' started by CJ, Feb 16, 2017.

?

What kind of subwoofer do you own?

1. Sealed

5 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Ported

8 vote(s)
    53.3%
  3. Passive Radiator

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  4. Infinite Baffle

4 vote(s)
    26.7%
  5. Horn

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Other

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

The sealed vs. ported debate continues to rage mostly because preference is subjective and implementation is critical. I don't want to re-litigate that topic yet again, though I find it funny when even arguably well respected sources continue to regurgitate old myths. Or even saying things like "its a myth that sealed subwoofers are tighter and ported subwoofers are boomier, but I've always preferred sealed." OK really, always?

Any way, like I said this isn't about that. I'm just curious what kind of subwoofer people own. So vote in the poll. If you own more than one, you can vote for multiple types. Post a comment to elaborate.

2. Dustin B

Dustin B Well-Known Member

I currently have a dual 18" IB and pair of sealed 12" subs. With my theater rebuild I'm going to ditch the IB and change the 18s to a massive ported. Keep the sealed 12s but build them into one enclosure and add a ported 12 tuned much higher than the 18s.

My opinion now lies that its less about the particular sub allignment and much more about integrating multiple subs into your room and eqing them to even out the response as much as possible. The rooms effect on the response far outways any differences in allignment of most subs.

3. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Well-Known Member Top Poster

I'll take any well designed sub....they'll both sound great and do what they're designed to do within the constraints of the room and their placement in said room.

4. Jack

Jack Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

I answered based on what I am trying with the new sub. The HSU can be sealed or porter depending on my preferences. I have had sealed, ported and passive radiator type subs and I cannot say I have a favorite.

5. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Another reason the "debate" continues to rage is a lot of the debaters really don't understand the topic. As in much of audiophilia, some people read about an acoustic phenomenon and blow it up into the "Most Important Thing In The World" (tm) and attribute a system with behaviors or effects that may or may not even exist. The "which is better" question cannot have an answer, because it completely depends on the setup and the room. Given sufficient time and budget, I can make ANY subwoofer alignment sound pretty much like any other subwoofer alignment, within the physical limitations of the driver.

CJ likes this.
  6. Carl V

Carl V Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

I own sealed, ported...presently. Have owned band Pass
    Passive Radiator & dabbled with an IB set up. Question asked
    what you own....not what you think is the best. to that question...

Depends....
    the above responses are accurate. Biases exist.
    Stereotypes exist in audio, art, literature, film etc.,

But for those lurking, there are often times
    differences in both goals, needs & implementation.

7. DYohn

Thanks Carl, I see I neglected to answer the question. :) My HT currently uses a pair of 12" open baffle subs integrated into the front mains, a pair of 15" ported systems for VLF reinforcement, and a 4X15 IB in the ceiling that I turn on for big effects movies or when I want to disturb the neighbors.

8. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor

"or when I want to disturb the neighbors."

LOL! :D

9. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor

I have an IB. Uses two Parts Express IB15's facing each other in a wall mounted manifold that backs into my two car garage. It replaced a 15" box sub which came to sound one note boomy to my ears. Was a Def Tech. Don't remember if it was ported or not. The IB is much smoother and fuller without being louder.

10. Chris Slade

Chris Slade Well-Known Member Top Poster

I have owned them all, as may of us here have. I just sold a sealed SVS, favorite sub I ever owned. Replaced it with a cheap old Paradigm bandpass. The difference was not subtle. Both have more than enough juice to fill the room (read garage) and this is for music only. I would have to believe that all members here would prefer the SVS.

So I guess my question would be is there ever a situation where sealed is not going to perform as well as ported? Let's assume that both subs (or multiple subs) are capable of filling the room to the desired level, and can play down low enough.

11. DYohn

The biggest advantage of vented (ported or PR) systems is higher dbSPL at the lowest frequencies due to the added sound coming from the vent. The disadvantage is MUCH higher group delay (leading to the impression that vented systems "ring" and are "slow") and often higher distortion numbers. Ported systems tend to be larger than sealed using similar drivers, and sealed usually has a more "perfect" Qts of 0.707 making them preferred for music. But when set up properly in the room, either can sound excellent and the trade off is usually based on required sound level output and tolerable system size.