SW tickets going on sale tonight

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Max Yokell, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member Top Poster

Not sure if anyone is interested anymore, but Star Wars tickets are supposed to be going on sale after an ad at halftime of MNF tonight.

I personally have kind of lost interest after Last Jedi but my kid still wants to go and I talked to a friend who said he felt the same but we would pretend to still care to make the kids happy. So we are looking to get tickets tonight.

max

2. Max Yokell

Ok tickets went on sale tonight and if the ease of perchasecwas any indicator, I am not the only one not feeling the Force.

I went in like 15 or 20 mins after tickets went on sale and picked seats from where ever I wanted in the Local AMC's opening night event showing. After two hours there were still tickets at this show available and friends ds bought up a bunch tickets as well .

Fir Endgame the fan even showing sold out in minutes as did many other shows and the sites were moving slow if at all. It was like this for Force Awakens, and Last Jedi as well as Rouge One, so this one doesn't seem like it us getting the same crazy sales numbers.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

3. Jay Brown

Jay Brown Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

Still going to see the film in the Theater, but that trailer was underwhelming to say the least.

4. Dennis Pagoulatos

Dennis Pagoulatos Well-Known Member

Like I mentioned in the other thread...I bought my tickets yesterday morning. All of the opening night shows in my area were sold out on Fandango, unless you're willing to sit in the first row like 5 feet from the bottom of the screen. So I settled for Friday afternoon Dec. 20 showings which still had plenty of seats.

5. Max Yokell

Just going through the motions, man I used to be a major SW fan but they seem to have ruined it. I am looking forward to The Mandalorian.

6. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor

I'll see it in the theater, but I like to wait for the crowds to dissipate. Probably mid to late January sometime. And a weekday matinee.

7. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

Everyone is interested but for a vocal minority of toxic incels that think they "own" Star Wars. I'll be going with my middle and maybe youngest sometime shortly after it opens to make sure I don't get a spoiler but I won't be going opening night/weekend.

8. Dustin B

Dustin B Well-Known Member

I'll be going. None of the prequels or sequels have been awful. They've all at least been entertaining. It's just somehow studios manage to get people that are better at meeting their toy marketability goals then they are at telling a great story. Arguments can be made both that this is 100% on purpose or that this is just studio execs who can't tell stories preventing those who can from. Given what 4-6 setup and the wealth of material that could have been drawn on from books, what we got is just, disappointing.

From appearances and tone this guy might be one of your incels referenced, but I can't say I disagree with anything he says in here except for the title of the video :P

And for the other recent it could have been so much more. Why wasn't this guy in the writing room for GoT.

9. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

Yeah, WHY you disliked the recent movies is important. Underwhelmed by the trailer like Jay is fine. "Why are they cramming lame female feminist characters (or blacks, see black panther) down our throats!? This movie sucks!" is completely different.

10. Dustin B

Dustin B Well-Known Member

Why they made the movie the way they did is important too. If the focus was just wokeness and/or rebooting a movie with women or minorities replacing white men they aren't doing anyone any favors. Then defending such a movie on the basis of incels instead of the content of the movie is the exact same thing just from the other side.

There have been and there will be plenty of great movies with all manner of characters. Ripley and Princess Leia weren't forced. They were developed characters. Rose could have been a Princess Leia. Daisy Ridley has made more of Rey through sheer star power than the scripts provided her with. Rogue One has issues but was closest to telling an actual story without shitting on/badly rehashing the cannon that made 4-6 great.

CJ, I don't think you are doing what I said in the first paragraph. I do think we are talking past each other a bit on the two sides of this argument and would likely agree significantly on the specifics of each movie that are good and bad. Sadly having that discussion would require time to rewatch the movies. Maybe I'll have time after I finish my theater a couple years from now

11. Max Yokell

How bout cause the the SW universe always felt huge and unending and last Jedi made it feel minuscule and claustrophobic. It went against everything SW should be.

12. Dennis Pagoulatos

Dennis Pagoulatos Well-Known Member

The two biggest criticisms that I've seen repeated ad nauseum about TLJ are:
    1) Destroyed the character of Luke Skywalker by making him a bitter, angry old recluse.
    2) Implied that the Force can be wielded by ANYONE and not only by chosen bloodlines or whatever.

Both of these criticisms reveal a lack of understanding of the very clearly defined themes of the original trilogy.

Here's an example that illustrates the stark contrast in how J.J. Abrams views characters vs. Rian Johnson:

J.J. Abrams: 35 years after the fall of the Empire, a 70+ year old Han Solo is STILL hustling around the galaxy smuggling, running small-time cons, and evading capture by the Empire...I mean "First Order". THIS DOES NOT MAKE SENSE, or if you do accept it as true, completely shits on the character of Han Solo (what a loser!)

Rian Johnson: 35 years after the fall of the Empire, the First Order has risen to replace it (meet the new boss, same as the old boss...). After all that transpired, how does idealistic Luke react to this awful situation? Naturally, he becomes a disillusioned old hermit that wants to forget the Force, the Jedi, and the past in general. By the end of the film, Luke makes the noble choice, sacrifices himself, and merges with the Force to give the Rebels a chance to escape. THIS MAKES SENSE.

One can argue about the execution (clunky dialogue, goofy humor, plot holes etc) but thematically The Last Jedi is much more true to the spirit of the original trilogy than TFA and a much more interesting film because of that.

The second criticism also betrays a misunderstanding of the original trilogy, specifically Empire Strikes Back when Yoda clearly states that the Force flows through everything and everyone. ANYONE can become a Force user. This is why I love the last shot of the movie with the little kid in the stable- that shot captures the spirit of SW more than anything in any of the other recent films and certainly more than Lucas' own terrible prequel films. I'm expecting J.J. to try and retcon Rey being a "nobody" (another good decision IMO) and make her some kind of Palpatine clone thing or somehow tied in to the old bloodlines.

That's how you make the Star Wars universe seem small...2 family bloodlines controlling everything. It's more like the Star Wars neighborhood than the Star Wars universe in the mind of J.J. Abrams. What a hack.

Johnson's instinct to kill off Snoke was also correct but unfortunately due to incel backlash the fans are getting what they deserve: a resurrected Palpatine in J.J. Abrams new film, Rise of the Return of the Jedi Skywalker 2: Electric Boogaloo.