The 2019 Lounj movie log (365 challenge)

Discussion in 'Movies' started by CJ, Jan 5, 2019.

1. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

1. Mission: Impossible - Fallout
    2. The Firm (rewatch)
    3. The Equalizer 2
    4. The Devil's Advocate (rewatch)
    5. All the President's Men
    6. The Godfather (rewatch)

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  2. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

1. Despicable Me 3
    2. Sweeney Todd (2006)
    3. Incredibles 2
    4. The Other Side of the Wind
    5. The Hunt For Red October (for the 5th or 6th time)
    6. Bird Box (so-so)
    7. Mr. Charles (this was excellent)
    8. Baby Driver (I fell asleep, does that still count?)
    9. Roma (Loved it)
    10. Close (formula thriller but well done)
    11. Brexit (Cumberbatch is great as always in a scary movie about the power of the Internet)

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019 at 12:26 PM
  3. Chris Smith

Chris Smith Well-Known Member

1. Bad Times at the El Royal - Enjoyed it. Was a tad long, especially for how much mystery was still left, but enjoyable nonetheless.

4. Mikael Soderholm

Mikael Soderholm Active Member Donor

1. Wonder Boys - never tire of this, great acting, great story.
    2. Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War of the Worlds, live on Stage - a classic
    3. Lost in Translation - a masterpiece
    4. The Bling Ring - interesting and strange
    5. A Very English Scandal - fantastic miniseries with Hugh Grant

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019 at 5:07 AM
  5. Denton

Denton Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

1. The Vanishing Gerard Butler flick about lighthouse keepers, murder, and guilt. Worth seeing.
    2. On The Basis Of Sex Origin story for the amazing RBG. Terrific.
    3. Glass Better than most M Night films. Perhaps worth it just for James McAvoy.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019 at 2:31 PM
  6. John Celardo

John Celardo Well-Known Member Donor

1. Hell's Angles - the 1929 movie directed by Howard Hughes with Jean Harlow. The dog fight scenes were way ahead of their time.
    2. Being George Clooney - a documentary about dubbing actors. Saw it on the plane on the way home, highly recommended.
    3. A Quiet Place - also on the plane. Lots of terror, but little plausibility.
    4. Peppermint - yes, the plane. Jennifer Garner turns vigilante after a drug cartel kills her daughter and husband. Meh!
    5. Labyrinth of Lies, terrific German language film about the first post WW II prosecution of Nazi soldiers who were at Auschwitz during the war. No explosions, and not for everyone, but a very good film.
    6. The Other Side of the Wind - Documentary about Orson Welles' final final film, CHAOS!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019 at 4:26 PM
  7. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member

1. Guardians of the Galaxy vol 2. Rewatch. Still hilarious. Ahahahahaha! I have famously huge turds.
    2. Russell Brand: Re: Birth. I like Russell Brand's standup. I found a previous special called "Messiah Complex" to be much funnier than this one though.
    3. Mission: Impossible. Not a bad movie. One thing I like about this one is it's not really an action movie. I guess that's what some people don't like about it. OK the kids have been on a tear with these so we have watched several. Very questionable parenting on my part since they seem to get increasingly violent.
    4. MI:2. In fact I watched only parts of this because the family was watching it. For the life of me I do not understand what people see in John Woo. The best part of this movie was Tom Cruise's hair, and all the girls in my house hated his hair in this movie. It's just terrible.
    5. Ready Player One. Rewatch. I think I'm starting to enjoy this more as I watch it more. My older daughter loves it so it keeps coming up. I did purchase it in HD on Vudu so we can watch it whenever.
    6. Mission: Impossible III. Man, I miss Philip Seymour Hoffman.
    7. Mission: Impossible: Ghost Protocol. Love the Burj Dubai scene.
    8. Mission: Impossible: Rogue Nation. Love the "hanging from the plane scene". This and Ghost Protocol I think are the two strongest.
    9. Mission: Impossible: Fallout. Honestly did not like this as much as the prior two. Just felt like one goddamn thing after another. Went on too long.
    10. Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs (Netflix series). I watched one episode with the kids. Gosh I love the original movie. This didn't live up to it. I think they cast the lead voice poorly. It's annoying.
    11. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Watched this with the older daughter and my wife since the kid wanted to. We didn't finish the movie. At some point very early on, I thought "holy crap...this is terrible". Thank goodness, at some point later we took a break in the movie, all of us agreed on that assessment, and we stopped maybe halfway. What an incredible waste of a talented cast.
    12. Avengers: Infinity War. So, I like that all the Marvel movies are connected. Not sure I like just throwing the kitchen sink at it the way this one does. Thanos is a great character though. Interested in the next one. This one pissed my daughter off because of the ending. Like she doesn't want to watch it again. I'll bet she changes her mind after she sees the next one.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    Carl V likes this.
  8. Jay Brown

Jay Brown Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

1. ROMA
    2. Mission Impossible: Fallout
    3. Solo: A Star Wars Story (repeat)
    4. Birdbox (repeat)