The 2020 Lounj movie log (365 challenge)

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Chris Smith, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Chris Smith

Chris Smith Well-Known Member

I wanted to start a thread even if I'm the only one who uses it because it was super helpful to go back and look at the movies I saw in 2018 and 2019 and I enjoyed keeping up my list.

1. Star Wars - The Rise of Skywalker - I enjoyed it even recognizing that there are TONS of problems with it.
    2. Twelve - An indie sports movie about a phenom 12 year old baseball player. My daughter really enjoyed it and made her want to go out and practice
    3. Ace Venture: Pet Detective (rewatch) - Watched it with the kids. A couple of moments that were maybe a bit too inappropraite but we all had a good time.
    4. It: Chapter Two - Decent ending to the first one and enjoyed our time with the movie.
    5. Wet Hot American Summer - First time seeing, a friend of mine's favorite movie. Not as good as Meatballs but better than the Meatball sequels?
    6. Spring Breakers - Weird, but I didn't hate it. Not sure I liked it though.
    7. Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls (rewatch) - Kids wanted to watch the sequel. It's not as funny as the original.
    8. The Hangover Part III - Should've just rewatched the first one.
    9. Jay and Silent Bob Reboot - This is not a good movie. But I had a ton of fun and if you're well versed in the View Askewniverse, the cameos, inside jokes, and callbacks can be quite funny.
    10. National Lampoon's Dirty Movie - This isn't really a movie, it's just a bunch of dirty, crude, racist, homophobic, etc jokes told in a loose fitting structure. Some of the jokes are funny but I really don't recommend it.
    11. For the Love of the Game - Watching every baseball movie I can find to find ones my daughter will like. This has some of the best baseball scenes in a movie I've seen (especially for how a pitcher "thinks") but has one of the most lame plots outside of the ball.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020 at 8:27 AM
  2. Mikael Soderholm

Mikael Soderholm Active Member Donor

Agreed, I like these threads, it's cool to go back and see what I and others have watched over the year.
    So here goes:
    1. LotR - RotK extended - finished the trilogy, again (a yearly tradition now). Still great.
    2. Star Wars - the Rise of Skywalker - too long, and too many fight scenes, but still some really cool scenes. Loved the final.
    3. Cool World - not as bad as I remembered, and a great soundtrack, but no Oscar material.
    4. Operation Finale - based on the true story of how Mossad captured Eichmann and brought him to justice in Israel.
    5. Incredibles 2 - first time with original soundtrack (my daughter was part of the Swedish dub, so we watched it with her first), really good. Love Edna Mode.
    6. Lion King - live action. It's beautiful, and really well-made, but the original still is the greatest.
    7. Giri / Haji - possibly the best miniseries ever. Need to see this sgain soon, so many things going on plotwise, such beautiful cinematography, an nrilliant actoing. Just fantastic! See it!!!

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020 at 3:02 PM
  3. John Celardo

John Celardo Well-Known Member Donor

I'll play!

1. The Two Popes - Very Catholic way to start the year. Great scenes in an empty Sistine Chapel.
    2. Dolemite Is My Name - Not bad, but a little overly sentimental.
    3. Shelby - Terrific Netflix documentary about the rise of Carroll Shelby.
    4. Never Look Away - German language film about a struggling art student in Nazzi Germany during WW II.
    5. Once Upon A Time In Hollywood - Ehis surprised me, it was very good. The twist at the end was very interesting.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020 at 4:42 PM
  4. Barry_NJ

Barry_NJ Well-Known Member

Maybe I'll try this for 2020...
    1) 1/1 - "Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker" - IMAX/AMC Theater
    2) 1/4 - "Parasite" - Plex/LR: good film, but gets a bit weird...
    3) 1/5 - "Avatar - Extended cut" BRD/HT
    4) 1/5 - "Legion" - Netflix/HT: meh...
    5) 1/6 - "Hellboy (2019)" - Plex/HT: sadly, but not surprisingly after all the reviews, disappointing...
    6) 1/8 - "Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them" - BRD/HT

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
  5. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member

1. Cheer (Netflix). Docuseries about the Navarro College cheer team just south of me in Corsicana. My younger daughter is in competitive cheerleading so this was her doing. But I have to say I enjoyed it.
    2. Live Die Repeat. This was a rewatch, and this movie is so rewatchable. I actually bought the HDX version on Vudu, it was on sale for 7 bones.

6. Denton

Denton Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

1. Just Mercy Very good advocacy/courtroom drama based on a real story. The leads are all truly good. Tim Blake Nelson is Supporting Actor Nominee scary good. Recommended.
    2. 1917 Outstanding film from director Sam Mendes. See it in IMAX if you can.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020