The Irishman (2019) - Scorsese

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Drew, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member Top Poster

A mob hitman recalls his possible involvement with the slaying of Jimmy Hoffa. Starting De Niro, Pacino, Pesci.

2. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

Been hearing good things about this one.

3. RJ

RJ Member

I'm always down for a mob movie

4. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

We watched The Irishman on Netflix last night. Wow. This is a tour-de-force film by all involved. There is no bad acting, even the bit actors bring it. There are no bad shots. This is an instant classic - telling a similar story to Scorsese's earlier films but with a style that is almost the opposite of the frantic "Goodfellas" or the violent "Raging Bull." This is a personal tragedy of a villain who tries but who just can't be anything other than what he is. Highly recommended.

NOTES: the film is almost 4-hours long, which Scorsese says was made possible by not having the restrictions of cinema because of Netflix. He says in a post-movie extra that he could just tell the story, no matter how long that took. It makes the film have a pace that feels like real life. Also the much-hyped reverse aging CGI used on the actors is effective, but sometimes it is a bit much especially making Pacino's face look unrealistic, and in one scene Pesci looks like Denholm Elliott.

jasn likes this.
  5. jasn

jasn Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

Watched this last night and concur with David's review. Well worth the time.

DYohn likes this.
  6. Denton

Denton Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Great story-telling. 3+ hours went by in a flash. I was not bothered terribly by the de-aging software. Recommended.

7. Jay Brown

Jay Brown Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

Loved it. 3 hours that went by fast. Loved the History Lesson as well. The De-aging didn't bother me as well, and I thought Joe Pesci's was the best.

Denton likes this.
  8. Mikael Soderholm

Mikael Soderholm Active Member Donor

So, here is my take, for what it's worth.
    If it had been the same movie and director, but with different actors, nobody would have cared, or even seen it, probably.
    The success of the movie is because it is what it is, those actors and that director, like a classic band doing a farewell tour after having been gone, or at least uninteresting, for quite a while.
    That said, I quite enjoyed it, the long, slow buildup, the dialogue, the actors. De Niro was great, Pesci even better, but I was a bit underwhelmed by Pacino, after having seen DeVitos Hoffa just the other week, with NIcholson doing a magnificent Hoffa.
    Long slow story slowly dissolving into old age, possibly regret and much death.
    By any other director, nobody would have touched it, even with those actors, and without those actors, not even Scorsese would have seen this become real.
    So, a grand farewell by some of the greatest of the past decades, and I salute that.

The de-aging and other digital trickery is immaterial.

I will buy the bu and rewatch, if given the chance.

DustinDavis, Carl V and DYohn like this.
  9. Carl V

Carl V Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

10. Carl V

Carl V Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Agree.
    Curmudgeon response
    emperors clothes.

11. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member

Liked it a lot. Didn't find it slow, though I had to watch over multiple nights. But--I don't see this having anywhere near the rewatch value of Goodfellas for example.

12. Phil A

Phil A Well-Known Member Top Poster

Watched it last night. Enjoyed the movie. Noticed that Robbie Robertson of The Band did the music score.

Denton likes this.