The Official 2012 Home Theater Lounge Book List!

Discussion in 'Books' started by Chris White, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Chris White

Chris White Active Member

The Official 2012 Home Theater Lounge Book List!

What is this thread all about?

Many of us are avid readers and this thread gives us a place to not only keep track of what we've read, but also see what our fellow members are reading. Maybe this is the thread where you can find a new author you like.

2. Chris White

My List for 2012

1. M is for Malice (Sue Grafton)
    2. Steve Jobs (Walter Isaacson)
    3. Thinking, Fast and Slow (Daniel Kahneman)
    4. Outliers: The Story of Success (Malcolm Gladwell)
    5. Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking (Malcolm Gladwell)
    6. Lonely Planet Peru (Carolina Miranda et al.)
    7. Moneyball: The Art of Winning an Unfair Game (Michael Lewis)
    8. Micro (Michael Crichton & Richard Preston)
    9. The Globalization of Management Education (Robert Bruner et al.)
    10. Mystery (Jonathan Kellerman)
    11. N is for Noose (Sue Grafton)
    12. Echo Burning (Lee Child)
    13. Freedom (Jonathan Franzen)
    14. Zero Day (David Baldacci)
    15. Catch Me (Lisa Gardner)
    16. Storm Prey (John Sandford)
    17. First Family (David Baldacci)
    18. The Neon Rain (James Lee Burke)
    19. O is for Outlaw (Sue Grafton)
    20. Persuader (Lee Child)
    21. Heaven's Prisoners (James Lee Burke)
    22. Without Fail (Lee Child)
    23. Fifty Shades of Grey (E.L. James)
    24. Fifty Shades Darker (E.L. James)
    25. Fifty Shades Freed (E.L. James)
    26. Black Cherry Blues (James Lee Burke)
    27. Freaks (Tess Gerritsen)
    28. Victims (Jonathan Kellerman)
    29. Oath of Office (Michael Palmer)
    30. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (J.K. Rowling)
    31. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (J.K. Rowling)
    32. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (J.K. Rowling)
    33. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (J.K. Rowling)
    34. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (J.K. Rowling)
    35. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (J.K. Rowling)
    36. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (J.K. Rowling)
    37. The Hunger Games (Suzanne Collins)
    38. Catching Fire (Suzanne Collins)
    39. Mockingjay (Suzanne Collins)
    40. P is for Peril (Sue Grafton)
    41. A Morning for Flamingos (James Lee Burke)
    42. The Kite Runner (Khaled Hosseini)
    43. The Enemy (Lee Child)
    44. 11th Hour (James Patterson & Maxine Paetro)
    45. Q is for Quarry (Sue Grafton)
    46. One Shot (Lee Child)
    47. Fall of Giants (Ken Follett)
    48. In the Electric Mist with Confederate Dead (James Lee Burke)
    49. R is for Ricochet (Sue Grafton)
    50. Hard Way (Lee Child)
    51. Dixie City Jam (James Lee Burke)
    52. The Shallows: What the Internet is Doing to our Brains (Nicholas Carr)
    53. Red Mist (Patricia Cornwell)
    54. Last to Die (Tess Gerritsen)
    55. Nudge (Cass R. Sunstein & Richard H. Thaler)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2013
  3. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

Currently Reading:
    A Casual Vacancy (J.K. Rowling)

Completed:
    Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (J.K. Rowling)Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (J.K. Rowling)
    Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (J.K. Rowling)
    Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (J.K. Rowling)
    Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (J.K. Rowling)
    Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (J.K. Rowling)
    Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (J.K. Rowling)
    The Family Fang - Kevin Wilson
    The Omen Machine- Terry Goodkind
    Mockingjay - Suzanne Collins
    Catching Fire - Suzanne Collins
    The Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins
    The Art of Fielding - Chad Harbachk
    By George - Wesley Stace
    Rule 34 - Charles Stross

On Deck:
    Cloud Atlas - David Mitchell
    The First Confessor - Terry Goodkind
    Xenocide: Volume Three of the Ender Quintet - Orson Scott Card
    Steve Jobs (finish) - Walter Isaacson

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2012
  4. John F

John F Active Member

Currently reading: Mystic River by Dennis Lehane
    On deck: Feet of Clay by Terry Pratchett

92: Maskerade by Terry Pratchett
    91: Moonlight Mile by Dennis Lehane
    90: Prayers For Rain by Dennis Lehane
    89: Gone, Baby, Gone, by Dennis Lehane
    88: Sacred by Dennis Lehane
    87: Norwegian Wood by Harukai Murakami
    86: Darkness, Take My Hand by Dennis Lehane
    85: Cold Days by Jim Butcher
    84: A Drink Before the War by Dennis Lehane
    83: Ethan Frome by Wharton
    82: Interesting Times by Terry Pratchett
    81: Second Shift by Hugh Howey
    80: The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
    79: The Twelve by Justin Cronin
    78: Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell
    77: The Valley of Fear by Arthur Conan Doyle
    76: The Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan Doyle
    75: The Sign of the Four by Arthur Conan Doyle
    74: A Study in Scarlet by Arthur Conan Doyle
    73: Anno Dracula: Dracula Cha Cha Cha by Kim Newman
    72: Mark of Athena by Rick Riordan
    71 Black Swan Green by David Mitchell
    70: Carmilla by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu
    69: Soul Music by Terry Pratchett
    68: A Wanted Man by Lee Child
    67: Men At Arms by Terry Pratchett
    66: Side Jobs by Jim Butcher
    65: Ghost Story by Jim Butcher
    64: Changes by Jim Butcher
    63: Turn Coat by Jim Butcher
    62: Small Favor by Jim Butcher
    61: White Night by Jim Butcher
    60: Proven Guilty by Jim Butcher
    59: Dead beat by Jim Butcher
    58: First Shift by Hugh Howey
    57: Deep Down by Lee Child
    56: Blood Rites by Jim Butcher
    55: The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon
    54: Death Masks by Jim Butcher
    53: Summer Knight by Jim Butcher
    52: Wool Omnibus by Hugh Howey
    51: Grave peril by Jim Butcher
    50: Fool Moon by Jim Butcher
    49: Storm Front by Jim Butcher
    48: Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth Peters
    47: The Long Earth by Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter
    46: The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
    45: A Kiss in Time by Alex Flinn
    44: City of Lost Souls by Cassandra Clare
    43: In One person by John Irving
    42: Doomfarers of Coramonde by Brian Daley
    41: Darkest Mercy by Melissa Marr
    40: Ivanhoe by Sir Walter Scott
    39: The Enchantress by Michael Scott
    38: The Serpent's Shadow by Rick Riordan
    37: Throne of Fire by Rick Riordan
    36: Neverwhere By Neil Gaiman
    35: Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan
    34: 11/22/63 by Stephen King
    33: Radiant Shadows by Melissa Marr
    32: The Wind Through the Keyhole by Stephen King
    31: Fragile Eternity by Melissa Marr
    30: Ink Exchange by Melissa Marr
    29: The Bloody Red Baron by Kim Newman
    28: Anno Dracula by Kim Newman
    27: Tick Tock by Dean Koontz
    26. Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr
    25. The Princess Bride by William Goldman
    24. Blood Canticle by Anne Rice
    23. Blackwood Farm by Anne Rice
    22. Blood and Gold by Anne Rice
    21. Lords and Ladies by Terry Pratchett
    20. The Wolf Gift by Anne Rice
    19. Life of Pi by Yan Martel
    18. Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane
    17. A Perfect Blood by Kim Harrison
    16. The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
    15. Merrick by Anne Rice
    14. A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini
    13. The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro
    12. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs
    11. Warlord of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs
    10. The Gods of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs
    9. Tender is the Night by F. Scott Fitzgerald
    8. A Princess of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs
    7. Perdido Street Station by China Mielville
    6. Micro by Michael Crichton & Richard Preston
    5. Jumper by Steven Gould
    4. The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
    3. Crossed by Ally Condie
    2. Matched by Ally Condie
    1. Black Rain by Masuji Ibuse

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2013
  5. Mike Parent

Mike Parent Active Member

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest

6. Troy Seufert

Troy Seufert Active Member

1) Multireal by David Louis Edelman - This second novel in the Jumpgate 225 Trilogy was great. The author really ratcheted things up in this book and I can't wait to see how he concludes it in the final book. 8/10

2) The Tempest by William Shakespeare - I've always meant to read this play and finally got around to it. I really enjoyed it. While not as popular as some of his other works it's a very interesting tale. 8/10

3) Caliban's Hour by Tad Williams - This short novel, written by one of my favorite authors, is both a prequel and a sequel of sorts to Shakespeare's The Tempest, but all told from the point of view of Caliban. It's a moving and heartbreaking tale and I literally couldn't put it down. I read the entire thing in one sitting. Excellent. 10/10

4) The Alchemist by Paolo Bacigalupi - This was one of two companion novellas written by different authors but set in the same world. A world where every use of magic causes poisonous brambles to grow. Entire cities have been overrun by the deadly brambles. In this novella an alchemist believes he has found a way to destroy the bramble. Really good read. 9/10

5) The Executioness by Tobias S. Buckell - The other of the two companion novellas. This one featuring a mother who works as a butcher and her father who is the city executioner and what happens when her young children are abducted by raiders. Really well written. 9/10

6) The Whisperer by Donato Carrisi - I actually quite enjoyed the first half of this novel. I was drawn in to the mystery and intrigued by the main character Mila. I liked how the crimes were being revealed and leading to others.

The book fell apart for me though when the deus ex machina (a psychic nun no less) was introduced and all the twists and revelations started being doled out in the second half. I mean it really fell apart in the second half and left me wishing I hadn't spent the time investing in the story.

Not a terrible book, but not a great one either. 6/10

7) Legacy of Kings by C.S. Friedman - What a fantastic ending to a great trilogy. Friedman has been one of my favorite authors ever since The Coldfire Trilogy and she definitely didn't disappoint with this series. Can't wait to see what she comes up with next. 10/10

8) Strata by Stephen Gaskell and Bradley Beaulieu - This was a fun sci-fi novella that takes place on an orbiting platform circling the sun. It involves skimmer racing and politics. Really enjoyed it and will likely check out some of the longer works by Gaskell. Also for those of you with Kindles, it's only 99 cents on Amazon. 8/10

9) Three Lilies and Three Leopards by Tad Williams - This was a terrific novella by one of my favorite authors. It's quite funny as well. You might get more out of it if you are familiar with Poul Anderson's works, but it's certainly not necessary. Also you can read it for free right here: LINK 9/10

10) John Carter: A Princess of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs - Kind of cool to read a sci-fi book written in 1912. Burroughs had a great imagination and this was a fun tale of adventure. Yes, it's dated in many ways, but it was still an enjoyable read. 8/10

11) Shadow Ops: Control Point by Myke Cole - This was a really cool debut novel. It's military sci-fi but with a fantasy twist. One blurb describes it as Black Hawk Down meets the X-Men and it's pretty accurate. The author has had a career in both mercenary work and official military so the writing is very believable, and the action is awesome. It's set in the near future when people start displaying magical abilities. (think mutants in the x-men) He needs to work on his characterization skills...especially with the hero who for about 80 pages in the middle of the book vacillates so much in his beliefs that you just want to smack him upside the head. Overall though, it was a great read and I definitely look forward to him continuing the series. 7/10

12) And Ministers of Grace by Tad Williams - This was a pretty cool short story about a guy named Lamentation Kane. It's sci-fi and about the battle between two star systems...one of which is highly religious and the other is pure science. Kane is an assassin for God. Pretty cool setup, but it read more like the first chapter of something larger. 7/10

13) A Stark and Wormy Knight by Tad Williams - This was a fun little short story about a mother dragon relating a story to her baby about his grandfather's exploits with trying to eat a princess and escape the wrath of the knight sent to slay him. 8/10

14) The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi - This sci fi novel won a couple prestigious sci-fi literary awards. I'm still not really sure what to make of it. There were some interesting ideas in the novel, but I was really bothered by the fact that it is never explained how things go to the state that they are in. Definitely not really a book that will stick with me. 7/10

15) The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins - This YA sci fi novel seems to be all the rage right now in pop culture and with the movie coming out I wanted to read it. I'm glad I did. It's an excellent story. Sure parts of it have been done before in other works, but you can say that about most anything. The writing was very crisp and I liked the characters. I'll definitely be reading the other two books in the series. 9/10

16) The Storm Door by Tad Williams - This short story is about a supernatural investigator and demons coming back from the beyond to take people over. It had a little bit of it's own thing going on, but it's nothing that hasn't been done before, and the writing here just didn't seem to be up to par for a Tad story. 6/10

17) The Strangers Hands by Tad Williams - This short story was really good. A fantasy setting about an evil wizard who essentially becomes an imbecile, but has the ability to give out a person's deepest desire merely by touching their hands. I liked it. 8/10

18) We Die Alone: A WWII Epic of Escape and Endurance by David Howarth - This true story was written back in 1955. It's an amazing story about the power of the human spirit. It all begins with a mission for four Norwegians who have been trained in England and are sneaking in to Norway to destroy an airfield. Everything goes to shit right from the beginning, and what follows is the telling of how one of the men managed to escape and then eventually with the help of many others make it to Sweden and back to safety. Literally couldn't put this one down. 10/10

19) The Righteous by Michael Wallace - This was a fairly standard thriller about a murder that takes place in a Mormon Cult outside of Vegas. It wasn't great, it wasn't terrible. One of those quick filler reads. 5/10

20) The Thursday Men by Tad Williams - This is a short story with the main character of Hellboy from the comics. Really enjoyable and dealt with beings from another dimension that can only access ours at a specific point on a specific day. Excellent storytelling. 9/10

21) Leviathan Wakes by James S.A. Corey - This is a good old fashioned space opera, set far enough in the future that humanity has colozined Mars and some local asteroid belts, but still hasn't really gone out and expanded to the stars. It has two storylines that eventually intersect. One of them is about a detective and is almost noir, and the other is about a small group of people on a spaceship. There is also a horror feel to parts of the novel that reminds me quite a bit of the video game Dead Space. This book is a 2012 nominee for the Hugo Award, and there are two more books planned in the series. The author's name is actually a pen name for two guys, one who has written some fantasy, and the other is the assistant to George R.R. Martin. I really enjoyed it and will definitely check out the other books. 8/10

22) The Tenth Muse by Tad Williams - Another Tad short story. This one about an alien ship that shows up out of a wormhole and how the people there deal with it. Again, a nice little story that really shows off Tad's writing ability. 7/10

23) The Knife Of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness - This is the first novel in a YA trilogy called Chaos Walking. It's set in the future on a planet that earth recently colonized, about 50 years in. There was a war with the indigenous species and all the males in the population were infected with a germ that allows everyone around them to read their thoughts. It's a pretty violent book, but it deals with some interesting themes. I'm looking forward to the other two in the series. 8/10

24) The Lamentably Comical Tragedy (or the Laughably Tragic Comedy) of Lixal Laqavee by Tad Williams - Another short story by Tad. This one had some good humor in it, and shows off his ability to write in a specific voice. A fairly entertaining read. 7/10

25) The Terrible Conflagration at The Quiller’s Mint by Tad Williams - This short story was almost just like a chapter in a larger work. It references an event that takes place in his Shadowmarch series. Having not read that series, I can't say how it fits in. The writing was impeccable, but there wasn't much "story" here. 7/10

26) Black Sunshine by Tad Williams - This is a screenplay set in the 70's and modern times. It's a horror film that involves a group of four friends and something terrible that happened to them in high school and is now back to haunt them. Screenplays are not very fun to actually read. I thought this was OK, but didn't really bring anything new to the table. 6/10

27) Ants by Tad Williams - A short story about a guy who finally loses it and butchers his wife and how ants help him clean up the mess. Kinda weird but decently written. 7/10

28) The Ask And The Answer by Patrick Ness - This is the second novel in the Chaos Walking Trilogy. It was a really good, solid follow up to the first book. Deals with trying to maintain innocence living in times and situations where everything pushes you the opposite way. Looking forward to seeing how it all ends in the last novel. 8/10

Now Reading Monsters Of Men by Patrick Ness.

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2012
  7. Chris Smith

Chris Smith Well-Known Member

Read
    In Enemy Hands (Honor Harrington #7) - David Weber
    Echos of Honor (Honor Harrington #8) - David Weber
    Small Favor (Dresden Files #10) - Jim Butcher
    Ashes of Victory (Honor Harrington #9) - David Weber
    Turn Coat (Dresden Files #11) - Jim Butcher
    Changes (Dresden Files #12) - Jim Butcher
    War of Honor (Honor Harrington #10) - David Weber
    Ghost Story (Dresden #13) - Jim Butcher
    More than Honor (Worlds of Honor #1) - David Weber, David Drake, S.M. Stirling
    Side Jobs (Dresden Short Stories) - Jim Butcher
    Worlds of Honor (Worlds of Honor #2) - David Weber, Linda Evans, Jane Lindskold, Roland J Green
    Changer of Worlds (Worlds of Honor #3) - David Weber, Eric Flint
    The Service of the Sword (Worlds of Honor #4) - David Weber, John Ringo, Eric Flint, Jane Lindskold, Timothy Zahn, Victor Mitchell
    11/22/63 - Stephen King
    A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire #1) - George R.R. Martin
    Crown of Slaves (Wages of Sin #1) - David Weber, Eric Flint
    The Shadow of Saganami (Saganami Island #1) - David Weber
    A Clash of Kings (A Song of Ice and Fire #2) - George R.R. Martin
    At All Costs (Honor Harrington #11) - David Weber

Currently Reading
    Storm from the Shadows (Saganami Island #2) - David Weber
    Cold Days (Dresden #14) - Jim Butcher

You can add me as a friend on Goodreads, if you'd like:
    http://www.goodreads.com/chrissmith

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2012
  8. Troy Seufert

Updated

The Alchemist - Paolo Bacigalupi
    The Executioness - Tobias S. Buckell

Current Reading

The Whisperer - Donato Carrisi

9. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

I read the Alchemist last summer, it was pretty good.

10. Troy Seufert

CJ,

My guess is you read the "famous" version by Paulo Coelho. Completely different books, just the same title and strangely, very similar first names by the authors!

11. Paul E. Fox II

Paul E. Fox II Active Member

Steve Jobs on the Android Phone via Audible
    A Feast for Crows on the iPod Nan via Audible
    The Reality Dysfunction on the iPad via the Kindle App (this one is currently taking up most of my time at home).

Yes, not having DirecTV is giving me more time to do other things:).

12. JeffC

JeffC Well-Known Member Donor

My Fire is making me read more:

A Walk for Sunshine - Jeff Alt
    The Nasty Bits - Bourdain
    Medium Raw - Bourdain
    Citizen Soldiers - Ambrose
    A Walk in the Woods - Bryson
    Nothing to Envy: Ordinary Lives in North Korea - Demick
    The Sacred Acre: The Ed Thomas story - Tabb
    The Hunger Games Series - Collins

13. Troy Seufert

Updated

The Whisperer - Donato Carrisi

Current Reading

Legacy of Kings - C.S. Friedman

14. John F

John F Active Member

Currently reading: Jumper by Steven Gould
    On deck: Micro by Michael Crichton & Richard Preston

15. Chris White

I'd be interested to read your opinion of Micro. It's in my cue as well.

16. John F

John F Active Member

Currently reading: Perdido Street Station by China Mielville
    On deck: A Princess of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs

I'm going to read the first three John Carter books in anticipation of the movie coming out. For our Canadian members, the John Carter series appears to be in the public domain:

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54599

I enjoyed it. It is very similar to the Jurassic Park series and Prey.

17. Troy Seufert

Updated

Legacy of Kings - C.S. Friedman
    Strata - Stephen Gaskell and Bradley Beaulieu

Current Reading

John Carter: A Princess of Mars - Edgar Rice Burroughs

18. Troy Seufert

Updated

Three Lilies and Three Leopards - Tad Williams
    John Carter: A Princess of Mars - Edgar Rice Burroughs