tire change over done

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounj' started by Chris Slade, Apr 1, 2019.

1. Chris Slade

Chris Slade Well-Known Member Top Poster

Winters are off the truck and car. Drag out tires and rims out. Remove eight, clean eight, put away until it is time to repeat in the fall. Job is done and I am glad it is early this year, but I hate it every time.

2. Bent

Bent Well-Known Member

I have to do the tires/rims on the civic very soon.
    this is the last winter for my civic tires, but the summer (all seasons) are brand new last summer.

I'm also looking for/watching out for a set of 22" rims for my truck. I want to put winter tires on it next winter and use the existing rims for it.
    I'd also like to put a drop kit on it, 2" front a 4" rear

Do you know where I can get a pair of 22" F150 Limited rims anywhere for a price that's not crazy?

3. Chris Slade

Bent you are brave, 22" inch my area would be crazy, I would need a ton of sidewall given the state of the roads around here in the spring. I think my winters are 17" and my summers are 20" with pretty big tires. 22" rims and rubber would be worth more than I would be willing to pay.
    This truck is stock suspension. The top of the door minor is level with the top of my head.

rim.jpg

truck 1.jpg

4. Chris Slade

I would also think you would need some serious offset (if that is the correct term) to prevent rubbing at full lock. This set-up is a little bigger than the stock 20" set up and the rims stick out about an inch maybe 1.5 inches farther. This means the side of my truck gets sprayed and is pretty much always dirty.

I also took the decals of the bedside panels.

5. Bent

Bent Well-Known Member

yours has been leveled...correct?
    Aa 20" option was available on mine and the Platinum's and Limited's are standard with 22" rims. All tire height is comparable due to different aspect ratios
    My truck is a pavement queen, so sidewall punctures/pinch flats are a non issue.

these are the stock 18" rims[​IMG]

Attached Files:

6. Chris Slade

Truck has not been leveled. F250s are pretty high now. It is stock except for the rims. I think I'd need to be fairly narrow at 22", but I am not expert. I just picked the rims out of a catalogue and let the shop do the rest.

Also be prepared for the fuel economy hit, it is real.

7. Chris Slade

Now that I think about it, my truck has the plow prep option. Perhaps that does change the front suspension a bit. I am plow prep'd and 5th wheel prep'd so the whole truck might be higher than some. I just bought it off the lot and those options were already installed. It is a pretty big truck.

8. Chris Slade

Nice truck btw. I hope Mr. Chevy doesn't see this thread......

9. JeffC

JeffC Well-Known Member Donor

Be careful changing tires. I ruptured both of my bicepts last year changing 20s. Apparently, your not supposed to lift with bent arms. Who knew.

Bent likes this.
  10. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Well-Known Member Top Poster

Ben if you need a place to swap tyres let me know...I have a proper trolley jack and phenumaic wrench that makes swapping trivial.

Bent likes this.
  11. Bent

Bent Well-Known Member

I may take you up on that offer

12. Chris Slade

I have a full setup other than a lift. For my wife's car I have to drive the front tires up on wood to get my low profile trolley under it. For my truck I have to extend the trolley fully to get a tire off the ground. And these bastards are heavy, I can fully understand how Jeff hurt himself, and I suspect he is a pretty strong guy. An impact gun makes a huge difference for sure. It is just a lot of work on my particular vehicles. I did a Jeep Compass a few weeks ago, and that was simple and easy.

13. Bent

Bent Well-Known Member

I used to have access to powered impact wrenches and floor jacks, plus an awesome shop to do simple things like this - but not anymore.
    Now I'm scissor-jacking it after loosening the lugs with a wheel wrench, lol.
    I helped my neighbor lift his brand-new 20's on chrome-clad steel rims up onto his seasonal storage rack last winter, they were heavy...
    (But i;m an ex-truck driver, wrangling a tire/rim in a 11r22.5 size isn't alien to me, they are between 150 and 180 pounds

14. Bent

Bent Well-Known Member

I found these 22"ers, I'm trying to arrange a mutually convenient time to view and make an offer - this truck is stock ride height, I'll be putting a 2"/4" lowering kit on mine to even out the rake and pull the tires up into the wheel-wells a bit.
    $_59.jpg

Attached Files:

15. JeffC

JeffC Well-Known Member Donor

I don't have any problems lifting. It just popped at my shoulder and now turning a screwdriver sucks. :grinning: I switched my impacts over to Lithium so I wouldn't have to drag hoses around. You guys call jacks trolleys? I've not heard that before. I like it.

16. Bent

Bent Well-Known Member

Andrew is British, he uses trolleys to lift his vehicle to change his aluminium wheels.
    I'm Ojibwa/Cree, I use a floor jack to lift my vehicle to change my aluminum wheels. LOL

Andrew Pratt likes this.
  17. Chris Slade

Nice looking setup. For me plowing, towing, jobsites etc. I could never live with that little sidewall. A 250 with that little sidewall would be harsh. But it you stick to the pavement, no reason not to do it.

18. Andrew Pratt

Guilty as charged...though you see both terms used for the same kind of device

Bent likes this.
  19. Andrew Pratt

Apparently you haven't driven in Wpg...even on pavement you're likely to hit your share of pot holes.

20. Chris Slade

I have never been to your neck of the woods. I would expect your roads to be as bad as ours. I've been to Calgary (Banff) once, that is the only place I've been west of Toronto. It's nice enough, I just have no reason to travel that direction. In 2017 my wife bent both a summer and winter Audi rim...… that sucked a fair bit.