Uncut Gems - Sandler

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Drew, Sep 25, 2019.

1. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member Top Poster

holy shit.

2. Jay Brown

Jay Brown Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

I saw this yesterday and I had this "unsure" look on my face because the trailer was incredible.

3. Denton

Denton Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

The trailer looks like there might be something to it. We're confused because so many Sandler films are done with a script written on a napkin.

4. Drew

I don't think it's a secret the man has talent. He just prefers to shoot a simple comedy in a tropical paradise with buddies and chill. He'll do projects like this from time to time. Seems like a good formula IMO.

5. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

I'm with Drew. Dude has LEGIT talent, he just prefers to work on a comedy where 90% of the budget goes directly to him and his friends salary than doing something big. But he's been FANTASTIC in some serious roles.

Barry_NJ likes this.
  6. jasn

jasn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Watched my son's screener last night on my basement HT. This is a great, great movie. Sandler is perfect...Best Actor perfect. The tension is breath-taking. Even the sound is intense. My MotY, I believe.

7. Denton

I'm decidedly less enthusiastic than jasn. That doesn't mean Sandler won't get props for his performance. And so it goes.

jasn likes this.
  8. jasn

This is shaping up to be one of those thumbs up/down films. Many on both sides.

:thumbsup: for me...

9. Denton

RT scores ~93 (critics) and ~54 (audience)

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
    jasn likes this.
  10. jasn

11. Denton

I was reminded of James Caan in "The Gambler", of course. I was also reminded of Roy Scheider in "All That Jazz". Scheider's Bob Fosse-like character is (likewise) more than a bit disagreeable. The difference for me is I found a way to feel human about Scheider's character; no such luck with Sandler. YMMV.

jasn likes this.
  12. jasn

I wish I could agree about Sandler's character, or practically anyone else's in the film for that matter, to not feel human, but I can recognize many real-life person's actions in today's world, in their own selfish ways, almost as bluntly. (Don't get me started...:smilingimp:)

Denton likes this.
  13. Drew

TBF Cinemascore has zero to do with quality. The rating ASAIK is guess on the profitability/ticket sales of a movie.

I think the movie was fantastic.

14. CJ

Holy Shit... are we OK with spoilers in this thread at this point?

15. Drew

Maybe not. I don't think it hits Netflix here until May 25.
    Use spoiler tag?

16. CJ

OK

I thought this movie was fantastic. It does something that is really special for me for a movie which is to pull me in so much I have a physical reaction. Other than horror, its... I'll say uncommon. Rare would be too strong of a word. Its even more uncommon when it is not a shared experience. Its much easier to get pulled-in in a theater full of Star Wars fans than alone in my basement.

This movie truly almost gave me a tension headache. Sandler's character drives me insane. I can't stand the yelling, the complete lack of impulse control, the ADD, the neuroticism and narcissism. He is a whirling dervish of chaos that makes me very uncomfortable. I likened his character to Worm, from Rounders. He comes in and just fucks everything up and seems to be oblivious to the pain he is causing others in his life. People try to help because they care and they are let down again and again.

The third act was truly insane. Sandler gets his shit together by finally selling the titular gem and although, not explicit, we're led to believe he can probably begin to settle his debts. But instead, he essentially "steals" his own money away from the guys he's supposed to be giving it to and sends his girlfriend off to bet ALL of it on an insane parlay.

I'm not a big sports gambler. I get emotional enough watching sports without money on the line. But I understand a parlay. Sandler bets everything he has at risk to his personal safety and possibly his life, on a parlay that includes the opening tip. If the Celtics don't win the opening tip his six figure bet is worthless. In the meantime, he LOCKS the people he owes money to in the man-trap door of his jewelry shop. It is completely insane.

Finally, the movie rocks you in the ultimate way by having Sandler WIN the bet, turning $165K into over $1M. He unlocks the doors and immediately is shot point blank in the head and falls to the floor dead. I had texted @Drew when about 20 minutes into the movie and let him know I was watching it and told him it was actually giving me some anxiety. He said "yeah, its so good!" After the credits rolled I texted "HOLY FUCKING SHIT!" He responded "there it is..." That pretty much sums up the experience of watching this movie.

I would highly recommend this movie to anyone who likes tense character studies. Sandler got absolutely snubbed at the Oscars. I guess that's punishment for making Jack and Jill and all the other shitty paycheck grabs. It would be nice if people who deserve awards actually get them but that's rarely how it works (ask an Iowa fan, we've had numerous players get snubbed this year for big national awards).

17. Jay Brown

Jay Brown Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

On Netflix now. Going to watch this later today. I was not expecting this to be available.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk