USA 13 Thailand 0 how do you feel about it?

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounj' started by pillatier, Jun 12, 2019.

1. pillatier

pillatier Well-Known Member

Even in actual combat one does not continue to shoot at an injured enemy who no longer pose any threat. The game literally looked like professional team playing against little leaguers, The win is no cause for celebration, it was downright unsports(wo)man like, mean spirited and ghetto. The players and specially the coach showed total lack class by not letting off the gas after perhaps fourth or fifth or even the sixth goal. This win IMO should/will cast a shadow over the team even if they win the Cup. Football (Soccer) is sport not a gladiator event!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  2. Chris Smith

Chris Smith Well-Known Member

Is it a professional/world class sport? Did everyone get there have to qualify? Does goals for and against matter?

Then you play the game until the last whistle as hard as you do up until that point. IMO it's disrespectful to the other team to take it easy.

Jack Keck and Carl V like this.
  3. Carl V

Carl V Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Unless, they change the rules like maybe Volleyball where they
    at times call the match at ? 6-0 or 7-0...you play till it's over.
    Baseball doesn't hold back, people complain about football, Pilling on.
    Does a Tennis Player just lob easy shots when they are ahead...
    Do Progolfers stop playing hard when they are way ahead?
    Basket Ball sends in the second string Bench warmers, but they
    still try and score.

Biggest question is How's the opposing team get that far?

Jack Keck likes this.
  4. Chris Slade

Chris Slade Well-Known Member Top Poster

Right or wrong I wouldn't do it. Sports are not just about the score, not even at the highest level. We teach kids that it isn't if you win or lose, it's how you play the game. In a situation like this you can play defensive and prevent the other team from scoring and still secure the win, no need for 13 goals. We do this in minor hockey, and stop cheering for goals after being up by 3 or 4.

5. Kevin

Kevin Well-Known Member

Maybe once it gets to 7-0 they ought to stop counting the goals[or at least stop putting the goals on the scoreboard at that point so as to not embarrass the other team]

6. Denton

Denton Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Blame it on weed tampon use by the Americans. :smirk:

Jack Keck likes this.
  7. Rick C

Rick C Active Member

Another perspective. I am not a big fan of piling on and running the score up BUT.............. This is early on in the tournament and in sports it is not that easy to turn the volume up and down and just start cruising. It can have longer term negative impacts when you try and turn it back on.

Jack Keck likes this.
  8. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

I guess I'm out of the loop but gather that this is high level pro soccer. If so, fuck it. If they don't want you to score they should stop you. My daughter's rec team took a 25-0 loss in softball last weekend against a team that shouldn't have been at that tournament. That's bullshit. Pro sports at a global level, who cares.

Drew likes this.
  9. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member Top Poster

Did they keep their starters in?

Denton likes this.
  10. Carl V

Yes. These ladies need all the exposure and experience. Off topic, there is a lawsuit about Pay parity with the men’s national soccer team. Unfortunately what’s fair and what’s feasible are not one in the same. Women’s sports simply doesn’t generate the same revenue men’s sports do/ does. Plain and simple. If broadcasters etc. paid the same, if the ticket sales were the same etc.,etc., then yeah parity might exist. But it doesn’t. Tennis. Golf. Women's basketball. None of them matches men’s sports in revenue or sales.... and imho excitement. And I go see women’s softball every year.

11. Chris Slade

It was low class, simple as that.

12. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member Top Poster

I for one am shocked, SHOCKED, I tell you, that someone would suggest the US lacks class.

Denton likes this.
  13. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Active Member

I was told that goals count in the way the teams proceed in the tournament. If so, they were obligated to run it up.

Jack Keck likes this.
  14. Chris Slade

Pete, I don't know the rules that well, but you are probably right. So every team in that pool may try and run it up against Thailand. Flaw in the rules if that is the case. It would be for tie breaks, and often there is a max goal differential that can count, but that may not be the case here. Meaning sometimes winning by 10 is the same as winning by three. But I admit I just don't know.

I have seen it in hockey (only using Canada, because those are games I watched). Canada versus European teams just getting into the World Juniors. Teams with literally two sheets of ice in the country competing against Canadian and American teams. Generally they don't run the score like this, it just does not prove anything. To me it feels like a boxer continuing to beat an unconscious opponent. There are un written rules in sports, things fans generally don't get to see from the television broadcast, things like two hockey players consenting to fight, this happened almost every time. These kinds of rules are for me a big part of the game. Golfers showing respect for the other players when they are hitting etc. It just has to be there for me.

Did anyone see the video of two baseball players (best friends) on opposite teams. One guy pitching and the other guy hitting. The state championship was on the line. The pitcher strikes his friend out. His team and fans go insane. The pitcher goes directly to his best friend and hugs him. He shows respect for his friend first, celebration second. This is what I try and teach my boy. Play to win, but it is a game, people, class, respect, sportsmanship, are all more important that who wins.

15. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Much ado about nothing.

Jack Keck likes this.
  16. Chris Slade

Spoke to a local soccer guru this morning. Seems the issue is not really the score, but the player celebrations. A super star celebrated in front of the other teams bench counting her four goals on her fingers etc. He says the score is fine, that is what is expected, the celebrations were trash.

Jack Keck likes this.
  17. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Well-Known Member Top Poster

Exactly. The issue isn't running up the score as that is required given the tie breaking system of goal differential. The issue everyone has is that the American players were celebrating wildly when the score was well past a blow out and most people believe it was disrespectful at that point. One of the Canadian sports channels had a retired player that made similar remarks and she got death threats for voicing that opinion. There's also people trying to say people would have a different opinion if it were a mens game which I disagree with as it was simply poor behavior regardless of the gender.

18. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

1. Its PRO FUCKING sports
    2. Lets see you score a goal in a world cup game, something you've been dreaming about your entire life and worked harder than all of us have ever worked at anything COMBINED and not celebrate.
    3. People didn't want to admit they were sexist? [shocked face]

DYohn likes this.
  19. Chris Slade

1. This is not correct
    2. We are not talking about scoring a goal, we are talking about scoring 4
    3.I am going to fan the flames here (I don't think it is sexist at all) and past that, I don't know if I have seen a display like this in men's soccer to compare this to, typically they don't score anywhere near this many goals.

20. Carl V

The Public & media always get annoyed with excessive celebrations...
    Heck isn't the a continual problem with End zone "dances"
    Bat throwing in the MLB, basketball taunting...

It is what it is....More Shirt removal and sports bras