Very slow and modest Birth of a theater thread

Discussion in 'Home Theater and Stereo' started by Chris Slade, Nov 26, 2010.

1. Chris Slade

Chris Slade Well-Known Member Top Poster

Tonight I will post a couple of pictures of the framing of the walls.

As far as home theater goes I'm thinking a front projector and screen on the end wall. Using my sealed Tempest sub, I loved that sub back in the day, so I want to keep something from Adire in the system.

I and at the point now where I am starting to think about wiring. All speakers except the sub will be modest Polks. Front stage in the wall and all surrounds in the ceiling. 7.1, all speaker wiring is pretty straight forward. The things I am unsure of are the wiring of the projector and where to place the rest of the equipment. I am also looking for a decent modest receiver, used is okay too.
    I think I'll put an HDMI wall plate next to the power plate in the ceiling for the receiver, a double I guess and run 2 hdmi cables.

I also wnat to have the system connected to my home network and this is where things get really blurry for me. I guess I somehow connect the network to the receiver, and the wiring I already mentioned will handle the rest. Is that accurate, and what additional equipment do I need to do that? Apple TV? Other options?

2. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Well-Known Member Top Poster

Simplest is to just run a Cat5 (or Cat6) cable to the AV rack and use a switch if you need more then one device to have network access (likely).

i'm not sure you need dual HDMI runs to the projector as your receiver will likely deal with the switching but I'd run at least component to the projector as some setup menu's won't display over component and it gives you options in case you need to run a composite cable for something (doubtful)

Make sure you're running in wall approved cabling for speakers etc and don't forget to run an RCA cable to the subwoofer.

3. Shane

Shane Active Member

If you can get away with it, place all of your equipment out of the line of sight and in a closet. This is the best move I have ever made.

To deal with the IR, you can do one of 2 things:

1. Run an IR repeater system
    2. Get an RF Harmony that converts the IR into RF.

Option 2 involves less wiring to run (ie: simple) but it's a bit more expensive ($100 ish more).

To make network connectivity easy, i put my cable modem and router in the main closet with my equipment. The rest of my house connects either wireless or thru wall drops I ran.

4. Bill Stratton

Bill Stratton Active Member

I agree with Andrew that you probably don't need 2 HDMI runs to the projector. And really, if you're looking at any new AVR, they convert everything to HDMI so you probably don't need to run component cable there either.

One thing I did that I think was a smart move, was to run a power wire from the ceiling plug for the projector, over and down to a wall plug where my power surge supressor/conditioner is. Then I made a double male power cord to plug into the conditioner and into the wall plate. So when I plug my projector in, it's getting filtered power.

5. JoeM

JoeM Well-Known Member

I've seen what are claimed to be decent surge supressors that were basically built into replacement power receptacles. This might be worth checking out. Another option is to just add surge protection right at the circuit breaker of the whole home. I'd be tempted to do both.

6. Bill Stratton

I did look at those small surge supressors, but they are still pricey, and what if some day I get one of these big honkin power conditioners -- I'd sure want my (generally) most expensive piece of gear plugged into it.

7. Chris Slade

The room

[​IMG]

Ceiling

[​IMG]

The floor

[​IMG]

Clean out

[​IMG]

Exterior Wall

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2010
  8. Chris Slade

So in that first shot you can see most of the room. The second shot shows the ceiling, there are about 14" high cavities behind the pink. The pink is just there because of in-floor heat (which I don't use). The third shot is a product called Barricade, that I am using as the sub-floor. The clean-out I need access to is next, which will be an issue for the sub-floor and engineered hardwood floor. The last shot is just to show the spot behind the saw between the windows where am installing a propane fireplace with a stacked ledgestone floor to ceiling wall. That will come out into the room about 14". So the fireplace will kind of be behind the theater portion of the room, in I guess a sitting or games area.

9. Chris Slade

Shane I like the out of sight idea, there is a closet at the end of the room that is not shown, I was planning mostly to use that as storage, but I'm not planning on a big rack of gear so I could probably make room.

10. Shane

Shane Active Member

Just make sure you run a vent in that room. My closet gets pretty warm. You could also store your media there.

11. Mike B

Mike B Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Yeah, a propane fireplace.

Just what CJ needs.

12. Chris Slade

It would heat his basement. I don't really need the heat, the heat pump can pretty much handle the house. We've got one in the living room though and really like it. I want a feature down there to make it seem a bit different than the typical basement.

13. Randy Anderson

Randy Anderson Member

Given that HDMI is being replaced by Ethernet cable in the future, wouldn't you want to run some CAT6 to the projector receptacle as well?

14. Paul E. Fox II

Paul E. Fox II Active Member

In all seriousness, I wouldn't make ANY cable run without adding at least one, and probably two, CAT5/6 runs these days...

I don't think the cable is that expensive in the grand scheme of things and even if you don't have an immediate use for it, having there IF you end up needing makes life much simpler.

Just a suggestion however.

15. Chris Slade

This is the stuff I need to know, thanks guys. I'll run cat6 all over the place if there is a reason to. I am not up on projectors or any type of display device. How many more years do you guys think we will be using HDMI?

16. Bill Stratton

HDMI will be around for quite a while I think, but I bet HD A/V over cat6 is the next big thing. A bunch of players already use it for HDMI extensions over long runs. Why not just just use it to start with? MUCH cheaper cable, smaller, and hey, they LOCK into place -- what a concept!

17. Chris Slade

A couple pictures more tonight, some speaker purchases and a bit of framing and sub floor are done.

Bill are you suggesting running cat6, and using some type of cat6 to HDMI connector on each end? Does this exist?

And Paul are you suggesting cat6 with my speaker wire too?

18. Paul E. Fox II

Paul E. Fox II Active Member

No...not necessarily with speaker wire.

My suggestion is to try to think of places where you may want a connected device. With the new video spec over ethernet, that would open that up a bit I think.

For me, I ran at least ONE CAT5 run to every room in my house where I thought I might put a PC at some point and two to my bedroom...a very forward looking plan in 1999/2000 I thought...

As things turn out, in my theater room I could have used at least one more now in a separate location and I should have dropped a line to the HT Connection plates behind the two locations in the Living Room.

Turns out I did not accurately anticipate the amount of connectivity that would be available in the future. I also don't think that's going to change anytime soon and while wireless is nice and works in some instances the best results are gonna be "wired" currently. At the rough-in stage and as long as the budget allows, why not run more than you THINK you'll ever need?

Again, only a suggestion. You may find a reason to run an ethernet wire alongside a speaker run...you may want to put a Wireless Access Point there for some reason or another and if you have the cable installed, you have the option:).

19. Bill Stratton

20. Chris Slade

These are the speakers I bought, 2 pairs of the 65s for the front 3 channels. 2 pairs of the round for the 4 surround channels.

[​IMG]

Start of the sub floor
    [​IMG]