Ways to hide cables wall mounted TV

Discussion in 'Home Theater and Stereo' started by pillatier, Aug 7, 2019.

1. pillatier

pillatier Well-Known Member

Tempted to pull the trigger on a 65" LG OLED C9. It will have to wall mounted - must hide the cables up to 4 HDMI, antenna and the power cable. Wondering what my choices? The TV will be mounted on the wall fibreglass insulation inside.

2. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Cableway

3. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Well-Known Member Top Poster

Exterior wall or internal?

4. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member

Where are the cables running? Vertically? I would drill 1/2" holes that are easy enough to patch and run a fisher the whole length. Insulation alone should not stop you at all. A horizontal support would.

Barry_NJ likes this.
  5. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member

Hm...aforementioned applies to low voltage. Wonder about your power plan.

6. Phil A

Phil A Well-Known Member Top Poster

7. pillatier

Showing me a cable car site.
    The other side of the wall is the garage with finished dry wall. I know there is pink insulation in the wall.
    Thermonuclear?! No seriously, there are two outlets on the wall, one likely directly below the center of the TV the other one stud removed.

Phil, thanks I'd prefer to hide the wires behind the dry wall if there are no cross brace across the studs.

8. Barry_NJ

Barry_NJ Well-Known Member

Meh... I snaked the power cable through too...

9. DYohn

Look up wiremold cable channel

10. Phil A

Phil A Well-Known Member Top Poster

Then just get a couple of low voltage outlet boxes that clip on the sheetrock (or cut the back off of a regular outlet box) and have one behind the TV and one at normal outlet height below it - e.g. Carlon 1-Gang Non-Metallic Low-Voltage Old Work Bracket-SC100RR - The Home Depot

You can put a decora outlet cover on each to slip cables thru -
    Leviton Decora 1-Gang Wall Plate, White (10-Pack)-M24-80401-WMP - The Home Depot

11. pillatier

Thanks Phil. I already have several of those low voltage brackets but in metal and two of the Decora plates too. While looking I also found this looks a bit involved but not overly so.
    Commercial Electric In-Wall Power Cord and Cable Kit-A32-KW - The Home Depot

12. JoeM

JoeM Well-Known Member

I fabricated a cover that runs flush against the full width of the bottom of our 80" wall mounted TV all the way to the floor. It is covered in fabric that matches the wall color and the bottom is finished with the same baseboard trim as the room. This acts both as a cover for wiring and also as an acoustic panel as it is a hollow frame that has an inch of insulation inside with another inch of gap to accommodate the cables. The cables feed out the bottom side and are hidden behind my equipment rack.

In my situation it was not going to be reasonable to try and route the cabling through the wall. So this turned out to be a great alternative.

Denton and DYohn like this.
  13. DYohn

14. Barry_NJ

I used 2 of these, 1 behind the TV and 1 behind the console under it. Using a fish-wire, I snaked a few HDMI cables, a pair of RCA cables and the power cable through them, along with a small rope so I'm ready to pull another cable through should the need arise in the future. Yes, pulling the power cable through is probably not code, but It's a good sized 3 conductor cable with pretty thick insulation, and it's not permanent. I could add an outlet behind the TV, but didn't think it was "necessary ".

Bent likes this.
  15. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

hire an electrician. This will all be less than $300 and done right and clean.

16. Bent

Bent Well-Known Member

I've used these very same "re-work" plates before too. they used to (and maybe still) offer a hood that screws to the front for a bundle of cables to enter and egress.

I did put one of a pair in my ex's basement though, and turns out there was a fire-break in the wall at the 48" level.
    (If I didn't loathe her existence as much as I do, I'd have felt bad for cutting the hole - but now I still giggle about it)

17. Barry_NJ

There is a "Hood"...

66252.jpg

18. Bent

Bent Well-Known Member

yes, if you simply want to run a cable into a wall and back out. its like a little pouch that sits on top of the flush re-work adapter.

19. Barry_NJ

Right, so it's not just an open hole in the wall :wink: