What are you reading 2014?

Discussion in 'Books' started by CJ, Jan 3, 2014.

1. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

I just finished reading The Ocean at the End of the Lane - Neil Gaiman This is one of the best fantasy novels I've read in a VERY long time. I highly recommend it. Its a quick read. The ebook said it was about 250 pages. From my understanding of how kindle books are paginated, the paperback should be the same number of pages.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2014
  2. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll HTT Refugee Donor

If 2013 was any indication, massive quantities of sci-fi and some fantasy. I'll have to check my Kindle account to be sure, but I suspect I read 150+ books last year, virtually all cheap Kindle e-books. Of course, last year I was disabled and in physical therapy for the first 3-4 months and unemployed until late September. I'm working full-time now, even if it is just as a consultant, so I'm sure it will be a lot less this year.

3. jasn

jasn Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

Just finishing my first, complete read of this motivating book. Anyone else read it? (Live Image Link)

519y7-VjIRL._SY344_PJlook-inside-v2,TopRight,1,0_SH20_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

4. Stefan

Stefan Active Member

Only because I received it for Christmas, I read "Dr. Sleep" by Stephen King recently. Glad I did. Made a quick 3-4 days of reading out of it. It's a sequel to "The Shining" with Danny as an adult. If you've read the book or even seen the movie, you will enjoy this.

5. Chris Smith

Chris Smith Well-Known Member

Currently reading the Percy Jackson books. Quick and fun reads so far.

6. Mike Parent

Mike Parent Active Member

Under the Dome

7. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Active Member Top Poster

I read Here, There, and Everywhere-My Life Recording The Music Of The Beatles by Geoff Emerich...really fascinating as a Beatles fan.

Now I am about 3/4 through Auntie Mame by Patrick Dennis. It's great.

8. Zak

Zak Well-Known Member

I'm one of the oddballs out there that LOVED the book but thought the the movie was just ok. Kubrick changed the story to much IMO. But this book sounds pretty interesting.

9. Zak

Zak Well-Known Member

I picked up Starship Troopers for the flight to San Juan. Finished about half of it on the plane rides and it is a great read! I'm shocked at how different and terrible the movie was. So much so that it should not have been given the same name as it sheds a bad light on the book and author. I've had to reread a few chapters, especially about the morality parts as they were just fascinating.

10. Steve Tannehill

I reread the Hunger Games trilogy. I'm going to move back to Around the World with Auntie Mame, and Dr. Sleep...I've read and seen The Shining, both the movie and the TV miniseries.

11. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member

Probably delving back into 2013 a bit but anyhow recent readings are something like:

The End of Faith: Religion, Terror, and the Future of Reason - Sam Harris.
    Predictably Irrational - Dan Ariely.
    At The Devil's Table - William Rempel.
    Inferno - Dan Brown. (One of these things is not like the others.)
    Escape from Camp 14 - Blaine Harden.
    The Secret Race - Tyler Hamilton.
    Wheelmen - Reed Albergotti and Vanessa O'Connell.
    Unbroken - Laura Hillenbrand.

Currently reading:
    Man's Search For Meaning - Viktor Frankl.

Bunch more in the backlog.

12. Mike B

Mike B Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Just finished The Hard Way , Lee Child.

Great stuff. Jack Reacher is hired by the leader of a mercenary band to find out who kidnapped his wife. He does and kills them all himself.

13. Mike B

The Striker Clive Cussler

Another "Isaac Bell" novel. Stylish stuff from back in the 20's. The beginning of Bell's adventures with the Van Dorn Detective Agency.

Good stuff. Murder and mayhem to further the cause of blind unmitigated greed. Same as it ever was - :)

14. Steve Tannehill

I see you are a Jack Reacher fan. I read the first two books and really liked them. The movie was only so-so, Tom Cruise is really miscast.

Got tired of Auntie Mame, so I moved back to the third book of George RR Martins Song of Ice and Fire.

15. Mike B

I love Reacher.

He owns nothing, just his clothes and a toothbrush. Lives in motels. Doesn't wash his clothes. Buys new ones and throws the old stuff inna trash.

If you're a good guy, he's your best friend. If you're a bad guy you will be dead before the book ends - :)

16. Zak

Zak Well-Known Member

I started the first book, Song of Ice and Fire. Interesting book, as I'm about 1/3 through. Not quite what I was expecting as the pacing is a bit slow and insane amount of detail. Love the characters though and really like the direwolves. Slower read as the details sometime bog things down. I thought it would be more fantasy and magical. Maybe it will get there.

17. Steve Tannehill

Book 1 takes you through the first season of Game of Thrones. The detail is enormous as the story bounces between characters.

18. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

I finished reading Kansas City Lightening and Elanor & Park since last updating the list thread. I'm 80% of the way through Ready Player One and it is one of the best books I've read in years. If you're a child of the 80s and a geek, read it, that's an order.

19. Zak

Zak Well-Known Member

Never heard of it CJ but just the title has me intrigued. I'll pick it up and read it after i'm through Game of Thrones.

20. jasn

jasn Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

Half-way through (pg 400) and really enjoying it. Pulitzer Prize for Fiction 2013
    200px-The_goldfinch_by_donna_tart.png

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2014