What Are You Reading in 2015?

Discussion in 'Books' started by jasn, Jan 1, 2015.

1. jasn

jasn Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

Into another year. DL'd this for my Kindle. Very good reviews and liking it so far even though I'm not agreeing with the author on all artists.

41YJXTJ1IPL.jpg

2. murrayb

murrayb Well-Known Member

Starting the year off with the new Tom Clancy novel, Full Force and Effect. Clancy's been dead a couple of years but still cranking out books. Impressive.

3. Chris Smith

Chris Smith Well-Known Member

I saw in the Book List thread that John F was reading The Martian by Andy Weir. I read that yesterday (well, started it Sunday and finished it yesterday.) It was the most fun I've had reading a book in a long time and I recommend it to anyone who thinks it looks interesting.

4. John F

John F Active Member

I enjoyed it also. I was worried at first because it seemed very dry/technical, but it picked up after a slow beginning.

5. apeman

apeman New Member

Under the Dome ​

6. John F

John F Active Member

Read something a little different (for me) and enjoyed:

The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker
    The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
    The Cellist of Sarajevo by Steven Galloway

7. claud

claud Well-Known Member Donor

Kings And Emperors by Dewey Lambdin, Grey Mountain by John Grisham, Tiger Shrimp Tango by Tim Dorsey, Designated Daughters by Margaret Maron, The Assination Option by WEB Griffin

8. Zak

Zak Well-Known Member

I finally finished A Game of Thrones and looking forward to the next book. Started off great, got a bit boring in the middle but damn what an ending. Has me pretty excited about the next books, thought they are insanely long and way to much detail.

9. John F

John F Active Member

For the thriller/mystery readers, anyone read FaceOff? It looks like it is a bunch of authors cowrite short stories featuring their main characters. I'm looking forward to the Connelyl/Lehane short story. I'm going to read the first Joseph Finder book so I can than read the Child/Finder short story.

10. jasn

jasn Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

Just starting:

9781476746586_p0_v8_s260x420.JPG

11. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member

Currently reading "Einstein: His Life and Universe" by Walter Isaacson. Really really great.

12. Chris Smith

Chris Smith Well-Known Member

Currently reading "How Star Wars Conquered the Universe" by Chris Taylor. Very interesting and in-depth, enjoying it quite a bit.

13. DustinDavis

Quick run through some priors:

"An Appetite for Wonder" by Richard Dawkins. I didn't really enjoy this book, as much as I am a fan of Dawkins. Autobiographies tend not to read as well to me, I prefer biographies.

"Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood, and the Prison of Belief" by Lawrence Wright. Wow. Just, wow. I won't get into how wrong how many things are here.

"Lone Survivor" by Marcus Luttrell. Again, I think this could have been improved by having a third party write it.

"The Good Spy: The Life and Death of Robert Ames" by Kai Bird. Interesting but somehow forgettable at the same time.

Lots of stuff in my backlog but I will probably start with "Dead Wake" by Erik Larson, about the last voyage of the Lusitania.

14. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor

Just finished a long one. Took a whole month. Twelve hundred pages plus or minus, the entire "The Count of Monte Cristo", in the original format layout of four - 300 page books, in one volume. With a nice forward which reviewed the authors life, and said it originally ran as a serial. I can see why the movies that have been made of this had to cut the heck out of it. But the details and twists made it worth the long read. More characters, different endings for some of them. A good read.

15. DustinDavis

I finished "Dead Wake". Pretty quick read. Told more or less in sequence, with the book bouncing from predator to prey as time goes on. Next up: "The Elegant Universe: Superstrings, Hidden Dimensions, and the Quest for the Ultimate Theory" by Brian Greene. I got this because having finished Einstein's biography, I wanted to read more about quantum theory and the quest for a theory that unifies general relativity and quantum mechanics. This book is presenting the case that string theory does that.

On a side note I can't wait to see what observations the renovated Large Hadron Collider is going to produce over the next few years. More than that I'm looking forward to the launch of the James Webb Space Telescope in 2018.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2015
  16. Mike B

Mike B Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Under The Dome - Stephen King
    This is one of the bleakest tales ever written. Plunge into the depths of despair. Forget the monsters of Duma Key or Dreamcatcher, we are much worse.

The Last Man - Vince Flynn
    Great stuff. Espionage at it's best!

The Target - David Baldacci
    Not as good as The Hit, it's prequel, but very very good. From adversity come the finest assassins.

The Bootlegger - Clive Cussler
    Another Isaac Bell adventure. Very stylish and well done. Lots of blood and gore. Bell saves America again!

17. Mike B

The City - Dean Koontz

Another one in Koontz's eternal theme of good vs evil. Not nearly as much voodoo as the "Odd Thomas" stuff, but there is still some voodoo in here. The protagonist is a 10 yr old kid this time and he has some help from a neighbor and his gramps and "The City"

18. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member Top Poster

Reading A Clash of Kings. Starting reading Charlott's Web to my daughter. Does that count?

19. Mike B

Of course it does. I have fond memories of my 4th grade teacher reading that to the class. I could visualize the barn and the words woven into the web.

20. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll HTT Refugee Donor

I'm in the middle of Alexandra Sokoloff's The Huntress/FBI Thrillers trilogy.