What is your favorite Western, Of all time?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by John Beavers, May 30, 2019.

1. John Beavers

John Beavers Active Member

The 100 Greatest Western Movies of All Time: Including Five You've Never Heard Of by the Editors of American Cowboy Magazine - IMDb

I picked this particular organization as it has a good reputation for quality picks. However, for me, my considered choice on their list came down to #29, not that those that went before aren't great choices, but for me, Rio Bravo, is a personal favorite. My dad, may he rest in peace, loved Westerns, and War films, especially WWII, as he fought in it. But Westerns were his go to movies. I think it was because in retirement, his life of hard work, and service to his country, were his heyday. The '90s were just not very comfortable for him. He lived in the past, where life made sense, where things were set in stone, like Westerns, there were good guys and bad, the good triumphed. The heady issues of modern life were just not important to him. I would watch him as he watched a nature show, a war movie, a western, and you could see him thinking, back in time. Then Alzheimer's hit him, and the light of intelligence slowly left his eyes...a child's light replaced his adult one, perhaps how he viewed things as a child. I got to see him in those days, and he was a completely different man, someone I would have liked to know, as a child, instead of the father who I felt then had no relevance to me.

Anyway, drifting off topic here :) So, what's your film choice here?

2. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member

Tombstone ranked 80. Highly suspect.

DYohn likes this.
  3. Carl V

Carl V Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Interesting list. Not sure about the actual rankings. As Dustin surmised...

4. John Beavers

John Beavers Active Member

I hadn't made it down the list that far. Tombstone would rank in my top 5, closer to 1. However, in most lists I find the "classics" tend to be favored.

5. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member

I hadn't made it down the list that far. Tombstone would rank in my top 5, closer to 1. However, in most lists I find the "classics" tend to be overrated.

FYP

6. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member Top Poster

Prefer El Dorado to Rio Bravo (really just the same move and James Caan > Ricky Nelson).

Toss up with tGtBatU and Once Upon a Time in the West.

7. pillatier

pillatier Well-Known Member

I have several favorites, unable to chose any as the most favorites. From the top 40 of the list I'd chose 40, 38, 36, 21, and 4.

8. Carl V

Tgtbatu????

I’m just lazy, dense & slow on the uptake.
    I’m old.

9. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member Top Poster

The Good the Bad and the Ugly

10. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

I can't remember the last time I watched a Western, not really my favorite genre. Maybe "3:10 To Yuma." Oh, "Tombstone" is considered a Western? OK then, that was it since we re-watched it on TV a few weeks ago, fast forwarding to the scenes featuring Val Kilmer or Powers Boothe. So I suppose that would be my favorite. And maybe I'd put "The Wild Bunch" up there too.

11. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Perhaps I'd put comedies like Cat Balou, Little Big Man and Blazing Saddles up in my top five. :)

Denton likes this.
  12. Carl V

Paraphrasing, No stinking westerns :):laughing:

13. Phil Rose

Phil Rose Active Member

I love Last of the Mohicans but a “western” it’s not IMHO. I grew up on westerns and there are many that I like. Little Big Man, Jeremiah Johnson, Dances With Wolves, Unforgiven, High Plains Drifter, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence to name a few. John Ford, John Wayne and Clint Eastwood are always good bets. Oh, and the Revenant was interesting but more along the lines of Jeremiah Johnson.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
  14. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

I'm with David in that I don't love westerns. I share a lot of traits with my father but this isn't one of them. He's seen some of the classics 50-100 times. When we go down there he'll be watching one and my mom will say, exasperated, "He's seen this 50 times" and he'll give this shit eating grin that clearly says 1) he's proud of the fact and 2) its way more than 50.

All that said, I like the original True Grit even though I know it is not very good and for some reason I watched Two Mules for Sister Sarah a dozen times one summer and I could probably watch that for old times sake. I could probably be convinced to watch any of the "Dollars Trilogy" again as well.

DYohn likes this.
  15. Carl V

My sister was “addicted” to the cable channel Grit. Old westerns.

Phil Rose likes this.