Where's the strong preference for analog video?

Discussion in 'Home Theater and Stereo' started by CJ, May 15, 2007.

1. Tom R S 4

Tom R S 4 Active Member

I think Chris and I have similar opinions on this. I also don't think I've ever seen a film shown 'right'.

2. Jerry Pease

Jerry Pease Active Member Top Poster

Most movies I have see in our "multiplex" have skips from patching jobs, blobs of something and worst of all vertical lines (scratches) through out the movie.

Film may have more resolution and no compression artifacts but it sure has plenty of other induced defects that are equally as bad.

3. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

OK, so what I'm hearing is that there IS a preference for analog to a degree, but REALLY good analog, i.e. film is impracticable in the home.

4. Chris Slade

Chris Slade Well-Known Member Top Poster

I'm questioning if I have ever seen really good film and wondering if it is the same for others.

5. Jerry Pease

Jerry Pease Active Member Top Poster

thanks for your reply. I didn't know high-speed prints where part of the problem. Thanks for the education!

6. Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Referring back to CJ's original post in this thread, I'd guess the reason is that many of us grew up with analog audio and have grown accustomed/preference to how it sounds... while, we also grew up with video just being video? Even now, many of my friends are drawn to the sharpness and crispness of my DLP HDTV because their exposure to higher video resolution comes from what they see on their computer monitors.

I can see a future where digital video can look as good (as realistic) as analog, but, from what I've seen that time is not here yet. YMMV.

7. CJ

Some people just aren't that sensitive to digital's "issues". I did a test last night and cued up John Mayer - Continuum on Vinyl and via my ROKU. I went back and forth and while they sounded different (naturally) neither of me struck me as CLEARLY and INHERENTLY superior. I certainly wasn't sent running from the room as some imply when I switched to digital. I've been told I have a keen ear so either 1) I've fooled some people, 2) they're lying, or 3) keen doesn't = same response to the same things.

Now on topic with analog video, naturally you have to consider the source AND the display. I've never seen good analog on both, and I've only seen good analog on the display side (at Mike's house) for a short period so I'm really just not an expert. I have few issues with my digital display and digital sources though.

8. Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Did you rip your album to your Roku? If so, you might have imparted some of that analog sound you like to your digital source? If your Roku source file is a legally downloaded or ripped digital CD MP3, then there are also other issues involved such as compression... or do you rip with EAC as a wav? (just thinking out loud)

9. CJ

Not sure what question 1 means when you say album. Do you mean the CD? If so, yes, I ripped it to my PC hard drive using Apple lossless so it sounds the same as uncompressed WAV (I'm somewhat tech savvy so I won't get into the debate that some people think lossless audio isn't lossless). The ROKU source file was not downloaded, it was ripped from CD, and it wasn't MP3 or any other lossy format, it was lossless. The LP was purchased new from Elusive Disc and is in very good condition.

Other relevant information would be that I'm using a Music Hall MMF 2.1 turntable, so not world class, but serviceable. My ROKU feeds a LiTe Audio NOS dac, and both sources feed an Eastern Electric MiniMax preamp and Forte Audio amp.

10. Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Oops, no, I saw you compared the vinyl(album to and old guy like me) and wondered if you ripped that to digital and then to your Roku. I didn't know at the time you had the CD too. Thanks for the clarification.
    ADDED by EDIT: Does the Roku based source signal also pass through the same "other" components as does the TT/TT pre signal? I've found that adding tubes after the digital source brings the sound closer to what I like with album/vinyl playback.

11. CJ

Ah, no... To be clear, its not like I didn't hear a difference, I'm just floating my opinion that digital is not as objectionable to ME as it is to many others.

12. Buzz Goddard

Buzz Goddard Member

Which reminds me of something I saw in Maximum PC a short while ago that mentioned the could hear a subtle not-good difference between Flac or WAV (identical to each other) and Apple Lossless. I don't consider MaximumPC to be Golden Ear references, but they aren't total Apple bashers. I don't have the time nor interest to dig further...

13. Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Buzz,

What is it you prefer on digital displays to the best analog displays of the past... which makes you prefer the plasma/DLP/LCD units?

14. Shane

Shane Active Member

Interesting points made. Analog is still the medium to compare against. For Video, it's what film is. I don't care for the look of a digitally based film.

However my display device is digital and will remain that way. Analog displays had their time and now its way past it. I don't want to fool with a CRT anymore. It's just too much trouble for the miniscule difference in PQ I would gain over my current display. And I'm ignoring floor space. No tinkering, no uneven brightness, no convergence. CRT still rules for black level but for the 5% difference(IMHO) I lose in blacks, I gain so much more.

Audio: I prefer analog all the way. Digital audio hasn't gotten there yet. I think Multi Channel PCM uncompressed is a step in the right direction.

15. Buzz Goddard

Buzz Goddard Member

I am not a plasma fan, and LCD's are just big computer monitors for me.
    But it ain't the displays merc, it is the medium. The best analog video I ever had in my house was laser disc. Most SD DVD's looked better then their LD counterparts. Of course there is no contest with HD-DVD or HD broadcast.

16. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

CJ:

A bit off topic but an interesting thing happened at the NYC HE SHow. I was in a room with an excellent 'table/arm/cartridge, and a new CD player which is reputed to be of very high quality. The CD Player importer, whio was sharing the room, claimed that the CD Player was as good as analogue. Someone had a very good CD pressing of a Steely Dan album which was also in the room on vinyl, so they did a mini shoot-out. We started with the CD and it sounded pretty good, though stil somewhat digital. We then switched to the vinyl and literally within the first few notes, the music came alive. It suddently had body, bloom and texture, and sounded real, rather than processed. I wish you had been there.

Larry

17. Pete Apruzzese

Pete Apruzzese Active Member

I was a complete digital audio die-hard until I had a chance to actually hear high-end analog playback, thanks to Larry. "Real rather than processed" is the best description of the differences. Now that doesn't mean I'm in any position to abandon digital as my main source (a lot of the music I listen to is not on vinyl), but it does mean that when I can afford to make improvements to my setup, it will be to make it sound more analog-like.

18. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

Peter, that is the best compliment a system can receive. I'm glad you enjoyed it. And you are over-due for a visit.

Larry

19. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Damn I hate it when music comes alive. Once that stuff jumps out of the grooves it is hard as hell to kill and get it squeezed back in.

:)

20. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

You betcha'. It jumps out and spread throughout the room like a contagious virus, and brings a smile to everyone's face.