Which Projector?

Discussion in 'Home Theater and Stereo' started by Barry_NJ, Mar 8, 2019.

1. Barry_NJ

Barry_NJ Well-Known Member

So I got some discounted BestBuy gift cards as a credit card reward, and I want to buy a new projector. I've pretty much decided on the Optoma HD27HDR, but it's been unavailable from Best Buy for a while now, and they won't even let me order one. Another option is the BenQ HT2050A, but after reading reviews, I think I'll prefer the Optoma, as it's a bit more quiet, seems to have similar, maybe slightly better image quality, and is $50 cheaper. A third option is the Optoma HD143X but it's not in the same league as the other two, as its lower price suggests. But it would still likely be a nice improvement over my old Mitsubishi HC1500.

Anyone here have personal experience with any of these?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
  2. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

I would say wait for the model you want. It may be getting discontinued and replaced but given your situation, I'd wait.

3. Barry_NJ

Thanks CJ, It's a newer model, released September of last year. So maybe the first production run is gone, and they need to wait for the second batch(?) Fingers crossed, but getting antsy :wink:

4. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member

I don’t have experience with those. But are projectors so inexpensive these days? That’s freakin’ sweet.

5. Barry_NJ

I don't think I've ever spent over $1K on a projector, and this will be my third. My first was an InFocus X1, back in 2001 or 2, then my Mitsubishi, in 2009 or 10, and now this. I tend to buy the older tech. So 4K projectors are available now, but I'm buying a 1080. When I bought my Mitsubishi, a 720, the 1080s were recently readily available. Buying, not the latest and greatest brings the price way down. And getting 9-10 years out of an $800~$900 purchase seems reasonable to me. Less than $10/month.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
  6. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

$2500 has been a good sweet spot for a long time. I paid less than $1000 for a DLP back when the video board went out on the first projector I ever owned. It was... not good. $1000 now is probably a LOT better but I find that $2500 mark to be really really good.

7. Barry_NJ

I'm sure $2500 would get me a better PJ, CJ :grinning: but I don't have that kind of budget for it, wouldn't leave any $$$ for car parts :wink:

8. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member

Reckon I have not paid enough attention. I still have my JVC DLA-RS1 which I got in 2007. Outstanding projector. Not too bright though. I think it gets 700 lumens or something. I think it was ~$4500. Still a good deal over 11 years. Well, I have replaced the bulb many times so there is that incremental expense. But if I can get such a better, brighter picture for 1/2 that price these days—maybe I need to be looking around. Anyhow don’t let me hijack your thread. I am generally with CJ on this. If you mean for it to last a while, get the product you want.

Barry_NJ likes this.
  9. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Well-Known Member Top Poster

I was deciding between these as well over Christmas and went with the BenQ 2050A and a Darbee 500 video processor. The 27HDR is better if you are a gamer but otherwise the 2050 is a solid buy in this price range

Barry_NJ likes this.
  10. Barry_NJ

Thanks Andrew, I went through lots of internal debate on this as well, and was really leaning towards the Optoma based on the reviews linked in my initial post. Then my birthday arrived, and the Optoma was still unavailable at BestBuy, so I ordered the BenQ. Then, two days later on Thursday, the Optoma became available. I reread the thread over at AVS Forums, and there seems to be a good bit of complaint about color-wheel noise with the Optoma, even though that wasn't mentioned at all in the review, so I'm thinking I'll stick with the BenQ, and I'm psyched for its arrival in about 2 weeks.

11. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Well-Known Member Top Poster

I think you'll be happy. The Darbee is worth looking into as well given the cost. It's like 4K lite :)