Why is carrying the bat around the bases bad behaviour?

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounj' started by pillatier, Nov 3, 2019.

1. pillatier

pillatier Well-Known Member

2. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Active Member

I am somewhat of a baseball nerd or maybe a recovering baseball nerd. Baseball goes out of its way to remain true to principles of sportsmanship and and decorum. Sometimes maybe too far. A player should never want to show up the other team. I've never heard of anyone carrying the bat to first base after hitting a home run. I wasn't watching the game when it happened. I'm sure I've seen worse behavior.

See how often a hitter will swing a 3 and 0 (Thee balls and no strikes for those of you who have better things to do with your time than watch baseball.) pitch or if a runner will steal a base if his team has a lead of five runs or more. A batter swung at a 3 & 0 pitch and got yelled at. By his manager.

DYohn likes this.
  3. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

Yeah! I like that.

As opposed to NFL spiking, knee wobbling, dancing and prancing antics.

4. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

Baseball is in a weird spot. On the one hand, it has lost a lot of its historical shine after the strike and massive cheating when all the HR records were broken. So much of the "unwritten rule" crap strikes younger generations as massively hypocritical.

Similarly on the NFL side, there's a reason its called the No Fun League. And much of the anti celebration rules are firmly rooted in racism. I.e. I want you to perform for me, but don't get too big a head about it boy.

Jack Keck likes this.
  5. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member Top Poster

Boah!

6. pillatier

pillatier Well-Known Member

If the hitter pointed the bat at the opposing team players on the field, or in any way used it to make fun of the opposite team I can see it as bragging or poor taste. I can see tossing the bat after a hit for practical reasons. But just carrying around after a home run! No big deal.

In general IMO celebrating a goal or a hit in itself is perfectly alright, but if that celebration is to make fun or dis the other team it is poor taste or unsportsmanlike.

7. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Obviously you just don't get it. ;)

Jack Keck likes this.
  8. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Active Member

I know when I perform really well at work I tend to do the stupid chicken dance around the shop.

Jack Keck likes this.
  9. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

Haha! My fav was to raise both fists high and announce "I'm invincable"

Like the Russian hacker in Golden Eye right before the liquid nitrogen froze him solid.

DYohn likes this.
  10. Denton

Denton Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

The game has been around a long time. I wonder if carrying the bat around the bases was once viewed as a threat.

Jack Keck likes this.
  11. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Apparently there is no rule forbidding it, but if a carried bat interferes in any way with the play, in the umpire's judgement, the ball is dead and the batter can be called out. If the bat is seen by an umpire as being "used in a threatening manner" then the batter is called out and can be tossed from the game for unsportsmanlike conduct.

12. Denton

Denton Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Well, that makes sense.