Wow. 4K for $730

Discussion in 'Movies' started by DYohn, Apr 18, 2015.

Tags:
  1. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2015
  2. Graeme

Graeme Active Member

I'm finding TVs have started getting into commodity territory really fast.

Pretty eye opening when my wife and I discuss potentially getting a 50" TV for the sitting room upstairs, or maybe a second iPad for our oldest, and research shows budget-wise it's a wash. Lol.

3. Phil A

Phil A Well-Known Member Top Poster

I've been watching them and when when old (almost 12 year) Vizio (42 inch) goes in a spare system (or at some point down the road if it doesn't I'll do it as well), I'll move a 50 inch regular HDTV into spare system to another and probably spring for a 50 inch Vizio. They just introduced new (50 inch) models at $800 list.

4. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Active Member

I hear they're going to put 42"ers in those big boxes of cereal pretty soon....;)

5. oteixeira

oteixeira New Member

Wow, at that price I may upgrade, so I can watch zero content that is 4k on my new 4k display......or not. :) The prices are silly cheap....so silly I have been thinking a nice 42 inch monitor would be great for my home office. I love the idea of 4k, but without a 4k content device, I can't do much. Being out in the sticks I can't get bandwith that would permit 4k streaming from any of the big boys.

6. Phil A

Phil A Well-Known Member Top Poster

7. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

4K content is likely to remain rare for a long time. But the displays upscale HD signals to UHD and look pretty darn good doing it.

8. JoeM

JoeM Active Member

So if replacing a set today what would folks put in? Let's say you were looking at a 60-65" set? 1080P or 4K if the price is reasonable? You aren't buying a set for 1-2 years worth of use. So you have upscaled content now and 4k when the content becomes more common still within the lifespan of your set. Is that a reasonable assumption or is there more to that decision?

I should say that I have been pondering that question as I consider the possibility of replacing our bedroom system 52? with a 65" set.

9. GHilinski

GHilinski Well-Known Member

My friend owns an independent TV shop and this weekend we discussed how the market is moving. His opinion is that 65 inch and below is dropping like rock on 4k and you might as well go with it to get the new tech on the cheap and have the plan to upgrade other hardware to support. On the 70+ models, the pricing has been holding firm but you an get a 70 inch set for about $3200.

10. Shane

Shane Active Member

End of 2015, you'll see a bunch come out. Either on disc for 4k Blu Ray or Netflix.

11. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll HTT Refugee Donor

I still have trouble with the idea of a 55" bedroom TV. My wife still thinks the 32" we got a couple years ago is too big.

12. Carl V

Carl V Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

of course she does:laugh:

There are no TV,s Stereos or Computers in the bedroom
    but that's just me.

13. Shane

Shane Active Member

We have a 47" in the bedroom but our bedroom is pretty large so it really depends on that. She has her own DVR so she likes to catch up on girl shows before going to bed.

14. JoeM

JoeM Active Member

We put in a 52" set in the bedroom a good number of years ago but the viewing distance is actually further away than we watch our 73" set. The bedroom set is wall mounted up high so I can see replacing it with a 65" set when the time comes.

15. claud

claud Well-Known Member Donor

46" Sony in the bedroom. Will replace with a 55 if/when it crapps out again.