Xbox parental controls?

Discussion in 'Smartphones, Computers, Gaming and Networking' started by Chris Slade, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Chris Slade

Chris Slade Well-Known Member Top Poster

I have an account from years ago. For the last couple of years my son has been playing on that account. Now I want to manage his game time. Seems I need to do a family deal. so I made another account using my wife credentials and put both accounts in the family. any adult is supposed to be able to manage and child account in the same family. Issue is these are both adult accounts. I cannot see a way to make my account a child account. Can it be done? I could start a new account for him, but I believe all his progress etc. that he currently has he would not be able to access. Frustrated as hell with this.

On the Nintendo switch I downloaded their app, linked it to our switch and boom it was done in about two minutes and I have full remote access. The Microsoft system is overly complicated and clunky in comparison, a joke really.

2. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member Top Poster

I don't have an answer for you, but thanks for the post. I did the same for the switch but didn't find an option that actually prevents continued use. An alarm isn't super helpful, I can just look at a clock and do math. Just checked again and there is a suspend play option when the set time limit is reached.

Spent a few minutes googling and not really finding much on converting an existing account to a child account. Check with MS support, they might be able to do it.

3. Chris Slade

Chris Slade Well-Known Member Top Poster

Turns out this is just not possible as far as I can tell. I find the whole system accounts etc. to be pretty crappy. Too bad, as this is his preferred system. It could be so simple.

4. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Member

Yeah, I was going to suggest just creating a child account for your kid (something I did for my oldest boy a few weeks ago), but I see that you also want to keep his save data from each game as well. Unfortunately, there's no way to share save data between Xbox Live accounts.

I think the reason for this is that your progress in these games is tied to other things like Achievements and Gamerscore points. If you create a new account and try to transfer another person's saves, what happens to the Achievements that person earned? Do they move over as well? Does that person also get the Gamerscore points, even though they may not have technically earned them? And what happens to online leaderboards? You may not care so much about these things yourself, but a lot of people do. It would be a total pain in the ass for Microsoft to deal with, which is probably why they don’t allow it.

If you really want to manage his game time and maybe the types of games he can play, you’ll have to bite the bullet and create a new account for him. Maybe any game that he already has can be played on your account, but new games have to be played on his account? That seems like the best compromise to me. Either way, the longer you wait to do this, the harder it will be to do down the road.

5. JoeM

JoeM Well-Known Member

For online stuff I literally resorted to putting the kid's computer on it's own WiFi and having that on a smart timer. That pretty much helped lock down the gaming hours to the schedule I chose. And did the same when it was hardwired by using a dedicated switch that was plugged into a smart plug that I would schedule. This was a pretty modest cost control method that has worked well.

This doesn't eliminate local gaming but it pretty much accomplished what I needed.